Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
froeschli

Finally got half my plants :-)

Karin
10 years ago

Or I hope it's half since i am already running out of space :-p

The violets did remarkably well (I am still missing some, especially my new mini - grrr, gotta get that ASAP) but one of them got quite limp. Now I've seen many posts on dealing with overwatered violets, how about dried out ones?

I soaked the soil for 10-15 minutes and removed any leaves that were mushy or translucent, but the outer two rows are still flopping down the sides of the pot - should I remove them if they don't perk up by tomorrow? The inner stems are now plump and rigid as I'd expect after a good watering...

The only actual casualty i expect is my frosty fern - DH apparently thought it was normal for it to look wilted. That one is in a bag just now. I'll assess the damage tomorrow.
Let's hope he didn't admire the wilted look on my bougainvilleas, they are coming 'home' tomorrow too....

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Your violet needs all the help it can get to recover-damaged leaves are better than no leaves. Your limp leaves may eventually die but by that time your violet should have made new growth so they will not be needed. If they are mushy or turning yellow, remove them.

Yellow leaves are in the process of turning off the chlorophyll factory inside and provide no sustenance for the plant. It sounds like it should be fine as your inner leaves look good. Just don't be in a rush and let your plant recover in its own time.

Linda

• Karin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Did I mention these plants were amazing?
    The floppy leaves mostly recovered overnight, some look a bit rumpled, but they are supporting themselves again... More than I expected.

There were only 3 AVs left at the old place, all a bit floppy too, we'll see how they do tomorrow.
    The other plants are dry but hanging in there.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

I'm always amazed when people say African Violets are difficult to grow!

Linda

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Plants - you give them a chance and they will bounce back...

• Karin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, it's obvious they aren't too happy just now, the window sills are a bit chillier than the old place, some pots actually developed a mildew, but I think they should be ok come summer - I just have to figure out the new watering regime...
    As for my av's - only two of them appear to be having issues, well, three if you count bleaching of leaves from fluorescent lights, the other two just need repotting I think. Getting perlite tomorrow, then I can play in the dirt :-)
    I already planted 4 suckers from 2 new plants, the third is going to give me at least four more, but I am debating on waiting to split that one in spring....
    Only time will tell really, and patience is key, I just wish it would hurry up sometimes ;-)

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Okay, since Irina called me on this tonight, I have to say this-dirt is what is under your nails, soil is what we plant in.

Linda :)

• Karin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lol, i thought it's dirt when it's anywhere outside of the pot, or the bag it came in. :-)

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Or when the gossip is flying around, then it is also "dirt."
    Joanne ;-)

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Soil - is a media in which the plants grow, worms crawl, gofers dig tunnles, bacteria breaks the leaves. We are actually using soilless mix. No gofers.
    Dirt can be the same material - but used to describe the undesirable substance your dog brought on your carpet. Or what you have under your nails after repotting. May be it is a perfectly good soilless mix - it just doesn't belong there.
    Like a weed - a perfectly good plant - but in a wrong place. It is probably very valuable on the pasture. Not in a middle of my petunias.

i.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County