Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
browneyedsusan_gw

WANTED: Plant Swap

browneyedsusan_gw
17 years ago

Several people said May 5th would be a good date for the swap at Oak Mountain State Park, so let's settle for that.

If you have never been to the swap before, I encourage you to come and meet all the wonderful peope who post in this forum. You will be surprised to find that you can trade almost anything you have- perennials, shrubs, seeds, annuals, groundcovers, rocks, magazines, garden art, peat moss, fertilizer, potting soil, pots, cakes, pies etc. You also will learn a lot as there are many experienced gardeners who attend every swap. There is usually a potluck lunch afterward.

Susan.

Comments (47)

• loveofmylife680
    17 years ago

Have some bee balm to swap for some hosta or day lily, the bee balm is a bright pink one I think, cant remember which color. Will try and find the tag.
    Jill

• stanreese
    17 years ago

I can have as many (within reason), Oak Leaf Hydrangeas as anyone wants. I want to trade for named daylillies or anything else similar. Make me an offer.

• lsmcw
    17 years ago

I have purple fall asters to trade. What 'ya got? Linda

• tony_pman
    17 years ago

I will be there. I have to trade: Troat Lily, Crane fly orchid, Christmas Fern, Oakleaf Hydrangea, Trillium, Liverleaf(hepatica), Native holly tree, Eastern red ceder, helleborus babies(mix of red, light red, white, and white with colored centers), purple heart, native ginger, Confederate vilots, purple vilots, Heavenly bamboo babies, Cherry laurel Babies, Lamium yellow arkangel, 1' tall silver maples, the regular stuff on my trade page, monkey grass(verigated, big blue, and green spreading), lamb's ear, forsythia, green euonymus, verigated running euonymus, Mother of Thousands, Bleeding Heart vine, shasta daisys and Collards. I have a lots not listed, ask.
    I am looking for mostly things from Walmart, potting soil, basic humus, top soil, Grass killer, pinebark chips. cakes, pies, hosta, named daylilys, named iris, & ect. What do you have, I might want it.

• tedevore
    17 years ago

I listed stuff I have on my trade page.

plants i want (who am I kidding, I want just about everything)...

maidenhair fern, perrenial fountain grass, cast iron plant (especially spotted ones), a yellow brug to go with my pink one I got from Terry, some kind of ginger lily (hedychium) besides the usual white ones, salvias or huecheras I don't have....
    etc. etc. etc.

• roseyp8255
    17 years ago

I am not gonna make the spring swap, but i do plan to be at the fall swap. gonna spend early spring dividing & Planting - still have stuff from last year to get in the ground! :)

• tony_pman
    17 years ago

Susan, I have acuba from your want list.

• loveofmylife680
    17 years ago

Tony maybe my brain won't forget your camillia cuttings this time.

Jill

• arab_gal
    17 years ago

I may actually try to attend this. I think my driver (aka my husband) knows where this park is located. What time to arrive? And I bring food?
    Yet another question - how do I plant and how many do you think I should bring?

• birdlady_10
    17 years ago

OK Got my trade page updated-finally! Hope someone can find something they want on there & have something I want as well.LOL.Looking forward to seeing everyone again.Missed you all last year. Jan
    Oh I'll bring paper plates,utensils,napkins-Is that ok?

• tony_pman
    17 years ago

Jan, I want Black Pussy Willow, Wine & Roses weigela, 3 Gal. Plumeria.
    I have for you Trillium Decumben, Cuneatum, Stamineum, and Hellebores(2 pots from fall swap) and mixed babies of white, white with colored throats, Light purple and purple.
    Check my post above to see if you want anything else.

Tony

• clmeisenheimer
    17 years ago

I'm new to this forum and just saw the posts about the plant swap. My daughter and I are interested in coming to the plant swap and are wondering if anyone would be interested in composted horse manure? I have 5 horses so compost ALOT of manure. I would be happy to bag some up and bring it if anyone would be interested. I also make compost tea and could bring some of that too. I just love plants and am always looking to add more! Thanks.

Cindy M+11

• tweetypye
    17 years ago

Cindy, where do you live... I'd be willing to trade you some plants for a truckload of composted horse manure..:)
    You can email me from my members page.
    Jan

• loveofmylife680
    17 years ago

Cindy, I will take a couple of bags, just see what I have on my trade list you might want.
    Jill

• clmeisenheimer
    17 years ago

Some Bee Balm would be great. I'm trying to attract some butterflies and hummingbirds.

Thanks.

Cindy M+11

• loveofmylife680
    17 years ago

Cindy, I have I think 6 pots of bee balm I am quessing about 4inch pots you are welcome to all of them but I need to tell you it reproduces fast. Just let me know.
    Jill

• tony_pman
    17 years ago

Cindy M + 11, Check my posts above and check my trade page.
    I will take up to 8 bags, if you can find that many plants.
    You do know that your EMail address is not listed, don't you?
    You can email me direct if you would like.

• tony_pman
    17 years ago

I have the following to add to my swap list:

2 small Chicago Harlequin EEars(striped stims)
    2 vilot stim EEars
    1 Pink Velvet Banana
    Bleeding Heart Vine
    Mother of Thousands plant
    False Jerusalem cherry (solianum capsicastrum)
    Hosta (verigated outer edge)& (verigated in center)
    2 small All Summer long Hydrangeas
    2 small Summer Beauty Hydrangeas

• tedevore
    17 years ago

Cindy, I think most plant nut people here all get excited about composted manure. Im sure you could trade for as much as you can bring, including any
    plants I have.

Todd

• clmeisenheimer
    17 years ago

Thanks for the sugestion, Todd. I'll save up lots of bags from the horse feed to bring lots for anyone who wants it.

• alabamajan
    17 years ago

Love of my life....I'd love some beebalm...I had some for the last few years and then something happened last year and it never came back. So I'd like to start some more.

I have all kinds of perennials. Just list a few things you might want and I'll see if I have it....Thanks....janet

• loveofmylife680
    17 years ago

Janet, Any hosta's you have or ferns would be great either one.Will save one for you.
    Jill

• tsmith2579
    17 years ago

This is from my updated trade list as of 04/03/07:

I have a few rooted BRUG cuttings now..
    I have a mix of pink brug cuttings (Rosa Traum, Butterfly, versicolor pink)
    Chas. Grimaldi yellow
    single White

Elephant Ears
    3 or 4 Alocasia Macro - 1 gal starter plants
    Variegated Giant Reed Grass (Arundo Donax variegata)
    Xanthosoma marginata (special trade)
    2 - Xanthosoma sagittafolia (1 gal. starter plants)
    Xanthosoma "Blue Giant" (special trade) Teal blue leaves and stems

Hardy banana trees
    Musa Basjoo (Traded until Oct. 16)
    Musella Lasiocarpa (special trade)

50 - Malviviscus arboreus cut and paste to see pix. One year old plants ready to take-off this year. (http://www.fp.sfasu.edu/jamesvankley/PineywoodsPlants/Eudicotyledons/Malvaceae%5Cmedium_Malvaviscus_arboreus3.jpg)

20 one gallon Hibiscus mutabilis Rubra (or is it Rubrum)

1 one gal (3 ft tall) white azalea. Large snow white blooms 2-3 inches across.

1 one gal (3 ft tall) George Taber azalea. Large, light pink with speckled darker pink throat.

1 four gal gardenia about 4 ft tall.

1 four gal Philadelphus pubescens 5 ft tall

small, 1 year old musella lasiocarpus (yellow lotus blooming banana)

4 or 5 yellow bell forsythias nice size 3 gal pots

3 one gal clerodendrum bungeii (light purple, sweet smell, leaves smell like peanut butter)

Bird of Paradise (Strelitzia reginae) orange and blue (Special trades only) large off-shoot. Proven bloomer. Had 14 blooms over this past winter

Native Maple bonsai. Very pretty and leaves are beautiful red in fall. (Special trade)

Well rooted Miss Huff lantana

• tsmith2579
    17 years ago

Oops! I forgot to add the 12 pots of silvery purple wisteria with 12 inch blooms.

• browneyedsusan_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Terry,
    Please save 3 Malvaviscus arboreus for me. I planted the rooted cuttings you gave me at the fall swap outdoors and mulched them but they didn't make it. I should have saved them in my garage but I had very little room. What can I bring you?
    Thanks,

Susan.

• mws366
    17 years ago

i have updated my trade list for the spring plant
    swap at oak mountain. let me know what you want-
    email. we will trade. i transplanted some verbascoms
    and dianthus into ind. pots from winter sowing trays
    this week. they should be well developed by may 5.
    i'll let you know.

wayne

• Jackie McCarty
    17 years ago

I have bags of mixed daffodil bulbs if anyone would like to trade for those. Also have dark purple siberian iris.

----------------------
    I will also be bringing my friend Blake. He is new to trading...
    He has:
    tall purple spiderwort
    arum italicum
    orange daylilies

Thanks y'all,
    Jackie

• tsmith2579
    17 years ago

Susan, you know I'll save some malvaviscus for you. Do you still have some of the yellow perennial hibiscus? I'm a sucker for hibiscus of any type. - Terry

• browneyedsusan_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Terry and Wayne,
    The hibiscus had put out small shoots. After the freezing temperatures we just had, they have turned black and mushy and look really bad. I'm not sure if they will survive. Please let me know if there is something else that I can bring you. Susan.

• mws366
    17 years ago

susan---i'll take coreopsis rosea instead of hibiscus.

wayne

• tony_pman
    17 years ago

I have to add to my list: Fire Pink Native and small Chinese Fan Palms.(Livistona Chinensis)

• browneyedsusan_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wayne and Terry,

The hibiscus has put out new shoots. I think it's going to make it. I will bring hibiscus and the coreopsis to the swap. Susan.

• browneyedsusan_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jackie,
    Please take a look at my trade list and see if there is anything you would like.

I'd like some Agastaches- at least one of each kind you are growing. I can bring you a start of Agastache "Blue Fortune" if you are collecting agastaches. Thanks, Susan.

• mws366
    17 years ago

i updated my trade list again.

added a few plants and deleted some
    that have been traded.

wayne

• tony_pman
    17 years ago

I have Twin Sisters daffodila N. x medioluteus aka Primrose Peerles, Cemetery Ladies and Loving Couples to add to my trade list. 3 bulbs to trade

• tsmith2579
    16 years ago

Wayne, I sent you an e-mail. Please take another look at my trade list to see if there is anything you want. I'd like to trade for one of the All Summer Beauty hydrangeas. - Thanks, Terry

• mws366
    16 years ago

terry---i've got an all summer beauty
    for you. i sent you an email.

wayne

• tony_pman
    16 years ago

Does anyone want to trade for some pots? I have Gallon size and up. I am interested in anything I can sell at a Church Plant sell.

• alex_z7
    16 years ago

Glad I checked in, I'm going to try to attend. We've been getting our house ready to sell so I'm covered in paint and dust. It's a lot of work but hopefully we'll be able to move to the place we found and I will be able to freely express myself horticulturally, lol.

I think I have managed to change my e-mail addy for gardenweb. Changed addys months ago but forgot to change the one attached to this site.

• alex_z7
    16 years ago

Wanted to add that I've double-checked my addy and it is now the correct one. However, I'm not going to be able to take part in plant trading this time around as there is just too much going on with school, work, houses, etc. Saturday is also h's birthday so I'm not sure what we'll be doing for that. Still, I'm hoping to be able to fit a few hours into my schedule, I missed seeing y'all last fall!

• mws366
    16 years ago

would like to trade for a lady banks rose. if anyone
    has one, please let me know.

wayne

• ourhighlandhome
    16 years ago

I've updated my exchange page for anyone who wants to make a last-minute trade.

Nelson

• loveofmylife680
    16 years ago

Does anyone want some baby redbuds? I will be digging some up today.
    Jill

• Jackie McCarty
    16 years ago

Ooh, Jill,

I'll take the redbuds. See if you want anything I have to trade.

Jackie

• loveofmylife680
    16 years ago

Strobe I dug up one baby today will try tommorrow and get some more bigger ones. I would like some agastache purple and apricot sprite. Think those would be great for attracting butterflies but not be too invasive. Now these redbuds are babies about 8 to 15 inches tall, just want to make sure you know what I mean by saying babies.
    Jill

• Jackie McCarty
    16 years ago

Jill,

Susan has also asked me for agastaches. I dont think they are big enough to trade. And they dont look that great because I kept them in the house for too long. I will bring them anyway, and if yall want them, you can have them.

Jackie

• clmeisenheimer
    16 years ago

I'm not going to be able to attend after all. Some fool rear ended me on the way to work one morning and totaled out my pickup truck. So I have no way to bring all of the mulch that I was going to bring. I can't convince my daughter to take me in her truck so I'll keep bagging mulch and try to make it to the fall one. Sorry.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES