Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Plumerias--need some info

Posted by arenee (My Page) on
Sun, May 14, 06 at 11:17

Does anyone grow plumerias? I have inherited 2 and I could use some info. They are about 3 ft. I've just planted them......so far no change....they look like antlers.

Renee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Plumerias--need some info

Renee, I bought some cuttings from a guy in the French Market in New Orleans a few years ago. I think they were 3 for $10. Two of them rooted and survived. I grew them about 3 or 4 years before I finally gave them to a friend. First, you must bring them inside every winter. They are not winter hardy here. Every winter they will go dormant and all leaves will drop off, looking like deer antlers. When it gets warm, they will sprout leaves. If I remember correctly, it must be very warm before the leaves start. Right now I would give them a good shot of fertilizer. Stoke's Tropicals catalog recommends 8-14-10 fertilizer. You could use 8-8-8 and give it a small extra shot of super-phosphate to bring up the middle number. I put mine in the sun and I watered daily. They are absolutely beautiful and smell so good. Have you tried the plumeria forum for more information here on Gardenweb? Good luck. - Terry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Alabama are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here