Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Wanted-trees for Fall swap

Posted by michelle11 z7 AL (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 8, 05 at 17:31

Hi all! I am new, having just moved from Atlanta. I am looking for a flowering cherry tree, a chinese elm, and some birch trees to put in my yard. I might also be interested in a dogwood, a redbud, some more lantana (how do you propagate it?) and spirea.
I have several of the lealand cypress trees that I am digging up and getting rid of, as well as that bush that grows like crazy with the shiny leaves (new growth is reddish). For some reason they planted them right next to our septic system! I also have some pretty varigated ivy and purple clover.
Let me know if you are interested.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Wanted-trees for Fall swap

Michelle, Welcome to Alabama hope you like it here, I have some redbuds growing all over my side yard,in a couple of weeks I'm going to try and dig them up to see if they will hold up for the fall swap, how big are the lealands? I might be interested. Check out my list to see if I have anything you might want to swap for. I'm slowly getting more plants. I will bring a book I am starting to keep up with everything I have bought. By next year I should have a good selection to swap.
Thank you Jill

o

Hi Jill!
The Leylands are about 4 ft tall. How big are the redbuds? With all this wet weather, would you want to trade now, or wait for the fall? Where do you live? I am south of Bham down 280.
Michelle

o

Michelle,Some are at least 4ft or more, any bigger I'm afraid I will disturb the roots to much. I live east of B'ham but work every day during the week in downtown B'ham. Let me dig some up and see how they do, but I have got to get my energy back from a vacation in Disney World, I will dig some up this weekend and will let you know how the do.Happy gardening!!
Thank You Jill

o

Jill, what do you plan to put the redbuds in? I am asking because I need some ideas for the leylands. I would like to avoid purchasing an expensive container if I can.
Michelle

o

I have some pots to put them in, the redbuds roots should be small enough for the pots I have, do not worry about the leylands if you do not already have a pot do not buy any. I will still dig up the redbuds for you this weekend, to give them enough time to see if they will make it. I forgot how big the pots are that leylands come in,they are pretty big. So do not worry about the leylands. Will let you know how they are doing in a couple of weeks, if they look like they will make it.
Thank You Jill

o

Michelle, the red buds did not make it, if I have time I am going to dig some small one up just to see if they will do better. Sorry
Jill

o

Jill, do you want to just wait until Sept, and then I can go to your house to dig up a redbud, and you can come to my house to dig up a leyland?
Michelle

o

Hi,

I have a Tapioca tree, its small but they grow quick and get beautiful.. ill bring a few to the plant swap to trade...

Sandy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Alabama are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here