Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Variegated Devil's Backbone

Posted by alabama_jan Zn8AL (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 14, 06 at 1:46

Someone just gave me some cuttings of Variegated Devil's
Backbone (Pedilanthus tithymaloides). I was reading information about it and it said that parts of it was poisonous. SDince I have pets in the house, I am concerned. Can anyone tell me which parts of the plant are poisonous?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Variegated Devil's Backbone

• Posted by josh z8a AL (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 14, 06 at 11:08

Jan, This is a member of the Euphorbia family which has a white sap which can be a skin irritant, and even more dangerous if in eyes or mouth. I'm attaching a site which might help you decide if your animals might be at risk.

Just a note: I've raised one son, several house cats and an Amazon Parrot while growing the Pedilanthus and many other plants on the 'toxic' lists. A young animal needs careful watching, but mine generally sniffed a new plant then went back to nibbling the new shoots of Cyperus alternifolia which were preferred by my cats. I brought in Blueberry branches for my Parrot to chew. My son probably heard "No" for the first time in connection with my plants...grin.

Just my experience...but if you look over the lists, you'll see so many plants which have poisonous parts but are widely grown in our gardens and houses, and so many folks have pets, that most co-exist with no problem.

Good luck...it's hard sometimes to decide these things, isn't it? All this info wasn't easily available when I started growing tropicals...in fact I grew the Pedilanthus for years before identifying it! josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Toxic plants

o

• Posted by raestr z8 Central Ala (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 20, 06 at 12:54

I wouldn't worry about it. Azaleas are poisonous too. My dog ate an entire azalea bush that was probably 3'X 3' and it didn't bother him. But if doesn't stop eating my hydrangeas, I may kill him.

Rae

o

Can this plant be grown outdoors in Phoenix, in the shade.
My plant has outgrown its pot and I would like to put it outdoors. Thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here