Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mokey_gw

what is the name of that program or event?

mokey
16 years ago

i think that they do this every year in birmingham, al. there is a program where people can participate in to go out to the wooded areas and other area and dig up plants, trees and shrubs. it usually takes place in feb. i wish i could remember the name.

Comments (4)

• mokey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

okay. i did some research and found what i was looking for. it was a Landfill Plant Rescue sponsored by the Keep Birmingham beautiful Board. couldn't find out if the are doing again this year.

• tsmith2579
    16 years ago

I am pretty sure they will have it this year. It has been going on at least 15-20 years. Most of the time it is at the New Georgia landfill but a couple of years it was at the landfill near the Birmingham dog track behind the Birmingham Police Firing Range. I tried twice this week to call Ms. Atrie Robinson at the Keep Birmingham Beautiful Board at 205-254-2472 but she has not returned my call. She is a very nice lady who is always helpful. It is usually held around the second weekend of February. I'll try again tomorrow to get more info. Since you now have the number, it you hear from Ms. Robinson, please let me know the date and location. Mokey, aren't you in Montgomery? Let me know and I can give you directions. Send me an email. I hope you can join us. Do a search for "landfill" on the Alabama forum and there is info from previous years. - Terry

• mokey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Terry!
    thx for the info. i will try to do that tomorrow. also yes, i am in Montgomery.

• tsmith2579
    16 years ago

Mokey, here is the plant dig info I just posted. It's time again for the Birmingham Landfill Plant Dig. The plant dig will be on Saturday, Feb 16 from noon to 4 p.m. at the New Georgia Landfill between North Birmingham and Fultondale.
    (1)Take I-65 N to the 41ST AVENUE exit, exit number 264. (2)Keep LEFT at the fork in the ramp. 0.04 miles
    (3)Turn LEFT onto 41ST AVE N. 0.05 miles
    (4)41ST AVE N becomes LEWISBURG RD. 1.01 miles
    (5)Turn LEFT onto 47TH AVE N.

You can usually find red buds, magnolias, dogwoods, ferns, maybe a wild azalea, oakleaf hydrangeas, pine, oak, beech and any number of other native trees.

Be sure to lock your car doors, especially once off I-65 while driving through the Fairmont-Lewisburg neighborhoods. Birmingham has already had almost a dozen murders in 2008.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting