Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Huntsville area seed swap

Posted by alabamanicole 7b (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 7:28

For those of you in the northern part of the state, the Tennessee Valley Community Garden Association will be hosting the second annual Seed Celebration on Friday January 31st at the Church of the Nativity in downtown Huntsville.

Food and drink provided by local restaurants, breweries, and wineries. Doors will open at 6pm, and the keynote speaker will begin at 7:15. There is also live music by the Sandy City Ramblers.

The event is a benefit for the Sand Mountain Seed Bank, based in Albertville. A donation of $0-$30 is requested -- in the spirit of community, no one will be turned away.

More info here:
https://www.facebook.com/events/465478836912089

Yours truly will be riding herd over the food buffet, so come say hi.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Huntsville area seed swap

Can you direct me to a non facebook website? Couldn't find one for this year.

o

I don't think there is one; TVCGA doesn't keep a website. When we get closer there will probably be a news article or two on WAATY or the AL.com site.

If I can answer any questions, please let me know. If I don't know I know who to ask.

o

Just saw this, and will try to attend. Due to work, I wasn't home much during this past summer, so haven't collected any seeds to exchange this year unfortunately. But I can certainly make a donation.

o

I am very new to this so please excuse my ignorance. I don't have seeds to swap, but would like good local seeds. Can I buy them at one of these events? Thank you for any help you can offer.

o

Possumpeg, you are welcome to come. Last year the swap was very informal; people added and took whatever they had or needed. There is no selling. There are some folks donating extra seeds, including my blog and also I think CT Garvin and Southern Exposure Seed Exchange both are sending some. The Sand Mountain Seed Bank will probably be bringing some as well.

However, we do not (yet) have a strong community of seed savers. Most of the seeds were commercial, parts of packets and so forth. Hopefully each year more people will bring seeds they saved themselves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here