Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tsmith2579

Support Margaret & Family Friendly Gardenweb

tsmith2579
18 years ago

I went to the GW Support and Comments page and found the reason for Margaret's concern. BEWARE, it may be offensive to you but if you must see it, go to: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/suggest/msg0121494030967.html?39 and scroll down. It is a NIKE ad showing a naked human behind.

We have recourse, people. We need to start an email campaign to NIKE advising them that this is a family friendly site and we do not appreciate this type of advertising on this site. Ask NIKE to replace the ad. Cut and paste this address to send NIKE an email: http://swoosh.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/swoosh.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php Then send Gardenweb and iVillage an email expressing your concern they would post such ads on a family site. Please be nice but firm in your convictions. We can change things if we work together.

Comments (11)

• tweetypye
    18 years ago

I had that ad pop up in my face while on the Daylily forum a couple of days ago! Until then, I had not had any problems with ads on GW. Now, not only are the ads flying all over the place, but I find myself having to "log on" everytime I access GW.
    You know, I am aware that they must have some ads to pay for this site, but they should be more selective, especially with things like that Nike ad.
    I agree that we should do something to prevent such things. I find those type ads to be very offensive, as I am sure lots more GW members do.
    Jan

• tweetypye
    18 years ago

Just to let you know, I appreciate the link and sent an email to Nike, as well as one to iVillage. I hope more members will do the same. Maybe we can stop this kind of thing from happening again.
    Jan

• alabamajan
    18 years ago

I had trouble accessing this site for months. (Turns out is was my computer) but, now that I can get this site again I can see a profound difference! So many pop-ups! And while I haven't had the 'enjoyment' of the Nike ad yet, it is still aggravating as hell to deal with these pop-ups.

I know, I know, I can buy a program to block them. But the point is, we should not have to BUY a program to BLOCK pop-ups that that were'nt there to begin with.

Oh well, it's just like everything else in America these days. You find something quaint and family oriented, and corporate america has to stick their big fat nose in it!!!
    Janet

• roseyp8255
    18 years ago

download Pop-upStopper Free edition - i think you go to www.panicware.com - i have NO problems with pop-ups....use it at work too, our IT guys approved it....

Here is a link that might be useful: Free edition of Pop-up Stopper

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Apparently GW doesn't like my posting on the Suggestion and Comments Forum. It looks like my note and Margaret's note have been disabled. I even did a search and found them but when I click on the search results to view them, it says they are not found. I realize this is NOW a commercial site but it is owned by iVillage, a media company, covered by the First Amendment to our COnstitution. You would think they would be the last people to practice censorship and the first to defend First Amendment rights: "Congress shall make no law ... abridging the freedom of speech; or of the press; ..."
    Really make me wonder, "Where are their heads?".

• tweetypye
    18 years ago

I am still having to log on every time I visit GW, however, the ads now stop appearing once I've logged on. My pop up blocker stops the pop ups even if I don't log on, but the other ads are still there big time.
    I really wish they would get the log on situation taken care of. It's a pain having to log on each time, but at least, I'm not having to deal with those offensive ads now.]
    Jan

• roseyp8255
    18 years ago

I too have to log on every time - which is a pain - but the less ads, the better

• glittercritter
    18 years ago

You may wish to go directly to the iVillage forums and check them out. I think that's the direction GW is going to be pushed in. Scary. I just went there and had NO idea. It certainly puts the Nike ad in perspective! Maybe I'm a bit too provencial but I personally think there's a reason we have bedroom doors. Yuck! BTW, I copied a post on Suggestions and Comments as a single web archive file. When I went to access it I got a security warning, here's a screen shot:

{{gwi:357785}}

This from trying to access something inside my computer. You really should give some serious thought to what you're opening yourselves up to.

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Goodness, is someone trying to infect us "protesters" with a virus or trying something stop us at any cost? I believe iVillage & GW have more credibility and responsibility than to do something like that. I believe when they posted the "butt" ad that they had a lapse in judgement, like most of us have at some time. I hope blocking us from viewing certain posts is about as far as they would go. Maybe I'm naive.

• outsideplaying_gw
    18 years ago

I have to log on as well, and they have changed my screen name to all lower case letters. No big deal really, but another annoying little thing. I can't even get to the forums at home on our sloooooowwwww dial-up (aol). I think it's because of the pop-ups trying to load, but haven't figured it out yet for sure with any of the settings.

• nonacook
    18 years ago

I emailed Nike as well....

Sponsored