Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tsmith2579

Welcome New AL Gardenwebber Barry Ford

tsmith2579
14 years ago

I won't publish his email address on this forum, but I hope all of you will welcome Barry Ford to Alabama by posting to this message. I'll forward the link to this message to Barry so he can see your replies. Barry lives in Lancaster, PA and is moving to the western part of Jefferson county. He and I have exchanged numerous emails over the last 10 days. He is enthusiastic about moving here although he was totally surprised that it gets "this " cold in Alabama. So let's give Barry a BIG Alabama welcome.

Comments (11)

• tedevore
    14 years ago

Hi Barry!

There are wonderful folks that post and share plants here. We usually have days in December and January warm enough to work outside happily and mess around in the garden. Its a pretty good place for us plant nuts!

Todd

• ourhighlandhome
    14 years ago

Hi Barry...

...and "Welcome!" to Alabama, the South and the forum.

Our typical winters actually lend themselves to be enjoyed. Plant trees/shrubs with interesting winter fruit, foliage and/or bark. Enjoy the relaxing warmth of a mid-winter campfire while gazing at the moon & stars.

Above all, enjoy the hospitality of the region and it's people. We're a little "different" and we'll feed you to death, so it probably wouldn't hurt to begin a fitness program within your first couple of months here! LOL!

Nelson :-)

• lsmcw
    14 years ago

Hey Barry,
    Welcome to Alabama - a great place to garden. We have a spring and fall plant swap where you get to put faces to names and trade all things garden. Where in West AL will you be living?
    Linda

• fortebab99
    14 years ago

First I want to thank Terry with all of the help he has given me. Thanks to all that posted a wecome. I was limited to the size of the garden in Lancaster Pa. I had to do alot of pot planting which was OK but missed a large garden as I use to have in the county. Looking forward to getting my hands dirty again. LOL I will be living on knoxville st in Birmingham. I know it will be a big change for me. Hope to meet all in The future. Again, thanks for all. Barry Ford

• sinai
    14 years ago

Welcome to Alabama.....I've only been gardening a few years but starting a new garden was a wonderful experience for me and I hope you enjoy your new garden and get as much joy from it as I've gotten from piddling around with mine. Nice folks in this forum and a wealth of info, if I can ever answer any question don't hesitate to ask.

Paul from Alabama

• drippy
    14 years ago

Hi, Barry - I'm a new transplant too, from MA - so far, although we've had a couple of cold weeks, I'm not finding the same "bone-chilling" cold I had up north. I'm looking forward to my first full growing season here, too, although I'm in northern AL - you are a full zone warmer in Birmingham.

• terramadre
    14 years ago

Welcome from an environmental gardener in Calhoun County located in jurisdiction of Jacksonville home of the "Friendliest Campus of South", JSU. You are welcome to drop by or travel a bit father north and meet Paul. Warning: his enthusiasm will leave an imprint on you.
    Hmmm, Terry, Todd, Nelson, Paul ....and nobody his mentioned Hayes yet ;-)

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi, Terramadre, I haven't seen Hayes on this board for a while, unless he has changed screen name. Yes, Barry, we have the ubergardener Hayes Jackson who is a Cooperative Extension Agent, a push-the-envelope and USDA zone pioneer and worldwide explorer for plants. Hayes has given us all a lot of great advice. He goes by the screen name - Plantaholic.

• catbird
    14 years ago

Welcome, Barry. We'll be looking for you at the Spring swap. This winter has been unusually cold and no one seems to know if this is the start of a trend or just an aberration. Whatever, I guarantee it won't be as cold here as it is in PA at any given time. ;-) Happy gardening! Alice

• outsideplaying_gw
    14 years ago

Hi, Barry and welcome to Alabama. I'm just outside Huntsville (Lacey's Spring). Just far enough 'nawth' to be a slightly different zone from B'ham. This is the coldest weather we've had for a while, and for the longest period too. However, I do remember lots of ice storms when I was a kid, and also much more snow than we have had in the past 10 years. I know you'll enjoy the plant variety we are able to grow here.

• browneyedsusan_gw
    14 years ago

Welcome to Alabama Kim and Barry! I look forward to meeting you at the spring swap.
    Susan.

Sponsored