Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Storm

Posted by lsmcw 7b-AL (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 30, 08 at 13:58

Got 1 1/2 " rain from the storms last night. The wind sounded like a hurricane and I heard a few trees crashing in the woods behind the house. Hopefully, they were the dead ones blowing over. It was still dark when I left for work so couldn't check. We're supposed to get a repeat tomorrow. Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Storm

It is good to hear from you. I didn't have the rain gauge out but we got a nice rain in Hueytown. The water in the bed of my truck was a solid chunk of ice this morning. I did have a small dead limb fall out of the water oak but that is the nature of a water oak.

o

We got just over an inch in Elmore County, and small limbs down all over the place from the wind, but nothing major. So far so good with rainfall down here this Jan. Last nights rain brings us to 4 1/2 inches and we're supposed to get more tomorrow too.
Jan

o

Not sure how much rainfall we got but we did get some. The wind was the real killer. "Sounded like a hurricane" is fairly accurate. There are things strewn about all over the porch and yard this morning, limbs down from trees. Amazingly the power never went out but that wind really got scary for a while. I know we get some pretty nasty windy thunderstorms in the summer but last night I think was the worst I've seen here in the last 6 years. I hope it's not that bad tomorrow.

Danielle

o

The big rain hit here in Opelika and the wind did sound like a hurricane . I have been through a number of them starting with Betsy in N.O. We are doing well too with the rain for January . caroline

o

Huge storm again last night...the lightning was amazing. Wind and thunder. I am thinking that we may yet be able to call this drought history. I hope so. c

o

Got another 1 1/10 inches here...brings my Jan. total to 5 1/2 inches. Ponds in this area have filled back up and Lake Martin has come up a few feet as well. I'm praying we continue to get some good rains and see the end of the drought also. At least this year has gotten off to a good start.
Jan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here