Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shay2006

Anthony Waterer Spireas..Help!

shay2006
15 years ago

I had my yard landscaped last spring and the landscaper planted 7 in my front garden. They were gorgeous all spring and summer blooming profusely up until the first really cold weather. They now look dead, with black limbs and hardly any leaves. I scarped the limbs and they are still green, so they are still alive but look terrible. Is this how they look in winter? If so, I am very disappointed, as I asked for all shrubs in the front garden be evergreen. As beautiful as they were, that is how ugly they are now. Is this normal for Anthony Waterers? Are they always this ugly in winter, and will they rebound in spring? Any information about these shrubs will be appreciated??

Comments (3)

• tsmith2579
    15 years ago

Yes, it is a deciduous shrub. Yes, they look like dried sticks in winter. Yes, they will be pretty again this Spring. If I paid a landscaper my hard earned money and if I told him I wanted evergreens, I would call him back to my place for a conference. Don't tell him why until he arrives and then tell him to prepare to replace the spireas with the evergreens which you requested. You didn't get what you requested and he should be prepared to correct his mistake. Be polite but firm.

• shay2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your response! I must admit I am a novice with all of this and did not know they were deciduous, considering she told me all the shrubs she picked out would be evergreen. I used Pike's nursery off of Hwy 280, and they closed a couple of months after we had the work done, so I can't call them :(. I have learned a valuable lesson, and will do my homework IF, and when I ever hire a professional landscaper again. I guess the good news is, at least I can look forward to beautiful shrubs again this spring and summer.

• tsmith2579
    15 years ago

Shay, look at paperwork to determine exactly when your work was done. Pikes was bought through the courts under bankruptcy some time in February. If the Hwy 280 store was bought before your work was done then you may have recourse by calling Pike's in Atlanta. They are still operating there.

Sponsored