Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do they know something we don't?

Posted by tweetypye z8/sc AL (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 28, 08 at 15:13

I have a bluebird box out back that I can see easily from my bathroom window. I glanced out this morning and a pair of Eastern Bluebirds were doing their spring cleaning it seems....hmmmm....does that mean that springs just around the corner, maybe? I sure hope so. :)
Jan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do they know something we don't?

I hope we don't have a "false Spring" like we did last year. Everything started to leaf out and then, boom!, a hard freeze.

o

I know, nothing here was hurt by it, but I know lots of people had damage from it. Hopefully that won't be the case this year.
Jan

o

i hope not either. last year i bought vincas 6pks as soon as they came into lowe's and home depot. i love how bushy they get and the make a good border around trees and large shrubs. anyway, i had to hurry to get them covered with plastic bags since i don't have a greenhouse. the silver lining in a false spring is that the damaged plants get marked way down.

o

Jan,
When do Bluebirds start nesting? As early as February April for the first nesting.
You may want to inspect the box.
First day of spring: March 20.

These two BBs spent the night in this box on one of the nights when temps dropped to 18

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here