Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tsmith2579

Can Spring be Far Away?

tsmith2579
17 years ago

I have newly planted daffodils and long ago planted daffodils up about 4 inches. Most telling is the Lenten Roses which are covered with buds and showing color? Can spring be far away?

Comments (10)

• nonacook
    17 years ago

I think not-my narcissus are blooming...

• angelfairy
    17 years ago

This winter reminds me of '93 so beware!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

Unseasonably warm spells in the midst of a calender winter are almost always followed by weeks of 'normal' temperatures. I'm with angelfairy! I won't be jumping in to begin any of spring activities, that's for sure!

• joyb26
    17 years ago

I see forsythia and quince blooming around here, and my neighbor's redbud is in full bloom. Yet, it was 30 degrees this morning when I left for work.

Joy

• goldhillal
    17 years ago

My memory fails me. '93 winter?

• bevinga
    17 years ago

I'm from Alabama; my family and I moved to north GA 2 years ago from what we refer to as UCLA...Upper Corner of Lower Alabama.

In March of 1993, there was a wonderful blizzard, which we certainly weren't expecting...not in Alabama!?! If my memory serves me, it was really a category 3 hurricane from the Gulf that hit the cold weather and became a blizzard. We didn't live far from Auburn and Montgomery, actually we lived in Tallapossa County. My husband was snowed in at the Auburn Conference Center with a hotel full of Alabama All-State Band students. Now that was interesting! My two children and I were at home, having the time of our lives with the snow. I agree that this winter is reminescent of that one...wonder if we'll get some snow??? :)

• pfllh
    17 years ago

No, Terry, Spring is not on the way, it's just your imagination.
    My camellias are blooming beautifuuly so the quince followed suit, Bothe varieties of the viburnum are blooming, the quince and the Jasmine. I have bulbs coming up all over the place. My solution has been 6ml plastic over a form on the beds.
    I'm sure this is all very entertaining to watch me chase the plastic and hold it down. I"ll get it right one of these days --- maybe.
    keep warm
    Lynn

• troyers
    17 years ago

I saw daffodils in full bloom yesterday.

• kabby_z8
    17 years ago

Gingers and cannas are breaking dormancy, the brugs are putting out new leaves and volunteer impatiens that were killed back the first week of Dec are coming up. I'm just glad that the banana trees aren't putting out new foliage.
    Ahh our last major snowstorm in the Montgomery area, March of 93. I work night shift and I had to wait for the slowpokes to get to work to relieve me. It was my son's first look at snow, he was almost 10.
    We moved back to AL in 71 and have only had 3 major snowstorms since then, 73, 77, and 93. I miss snow but wouldn't want it all the time.

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, I actually saw pink tulip magnolias blooming this weekend, more than one tree was in bloom. We've seen quince and we have a few forsythia blooms at home.

Kabby, I don't remember the 1973 snow. I do remember the '77 snow. I was living in an apt. on top of Red Mtn in Birmingham and walked to work. You sure couldn't get off the mountain with a car. I also remember a 12 inch snow on New Year weekend somewhere around 1963. I was 14 y/o and stranded in the isolated wilds of then undeveloped Shelby County. We also had an ice storm New Year weekend of 1970. I and some buddies came home from Ft. Benning and we had to drive back to Columbus. We had a flat tire on the Chattahoochee River bridge. It sleeted on us from Bham to Columbus. The top of Oak Mtn was a solid sheet of icy-sleet.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner