Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantaholic_gw

anyone grow bromeliads? in pots or in the ground?

plantaholic
17 years ago

my new plant-of-the-month. LOL i fell in lust with these easy to grow plants after visiting a specialty nursery in hawaii in dec.

just wondering if any other AL gardener grows them in pots or in the ground? yes, i have a few that are quite hardy and will grow yearround in the landscape in z8.

Comments (10)

• pfllh
    17 years ago

I grow all mine in pots. With the crazy weather last winter and this one, I don't want to take chances.
    Lynn

• fernaly
    17 years ago

Hayes, I have several that I grow in pots. Some are in dire need of being potted up.

Alyson

• tony_pman
    17 years ago

I have one that I grow in the ground. They call it the Frindship plant.

Tony

• roseyp8255
    17 years ago

i have a couple - pots as well, in the GH during the winter.

• birdlady_10
    17 years ago

I have about 20-all in pots in the GH or on the porch.Can't resist a new one if I see it.Just got "Hallalejah"(sp?) a couple weeks ago.I love them

• lovesplants
    17 years ago

Hi, I'm in Orlando Florida but hubby & I own the house where I grew up in N.W. Alabama. We are thinking of moving back there but I will miss my plants so much. I have lots of Bromeliads in the ground & in pots & didn't know they would grow up there. I also have Angel's Trumpets, huge hanging stag horn ferns & tons of orchids. How would those fare there? The house is in the corner of Ala 30 miles to Missippi line & about 30 to the Tenn line, not sure what the zone is. Thanks for your help

• goldhillal
    17 years ago

Lovesplants, I live in zone 8 and your Alabama house is north of me. Of the plants you listed, the only ones that I believe will live in the ground or outside is Angel Trumpet. I have several Angel Trumpets and they are killed to the ground each year but sprout out from the roots in the spring.One is in a 10 gallon pot and it surrived from the roots also.Personal experience tells me staghorns will not survive the winter outside. Maybe there are bromileads that will survive, but for the most part--No. There are terrestial orchids, but you can forget cattleyas and such like outside in winter. Even Cymbidiums can't take more than some light frosts. However, if you have a frost free area to overwinter you might bring most of these plants through the winter. Our winter this year so far (near Auburn) has consisted of two nights in the teens, but that finished off most stuff outside. If the house is in town, you may be able to find some micro climates that are less cold. Or you could chose another tack that allows you to explore plants new to you.
    Good luck!

• madabouteu
    17 years ago

As a grower of bromeliads for 30 years - none will take a zone 8 winter in the ground. A number will tolerate a degree or two of frost but expect bad leaf damage. Only a few Puyas can tolerate mid-20s.

• plantaholic
    Original Author
    17 years ago

i thought the same thing....i never thought any bromeliads would survive in the ground here in z8.

i have been growing a few in the in the landscape for several years now. aechmea distiachantha, dyckia choristaminae, billbergia nutans, and tillandsia recurvata. the dyckia is in a large concrete pot at my front door.

im not saying all bromeliads are hardy, but my experience has shown that some can be grown outdoors in central alabama. im looking to try several other hardy species this spring. ill keep ya posted.

• lovesplants
    17 years ago

Thanks for the replies. Guess I really knew central Florida plants wouldn't grow there but just hoping! I grew my staghorn ferns from little pups & had had some of them for 20 yrs or more. I will just have to "bite the bullet" & sell what I have & learn new plants. 30 years ago I lived in that area & had an organic vegetable garden & grew a few plants but it has been so long I've forgotten! Thanks again.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner