Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shannon_lee_gw

Looking for suggestions on peach trees

shannon_lee
13 years ago

I am in the Huntsville area and wanting to add a couple of peach trees to my yard this year. I am looking for more disease resistant varieties so I hopefully won't need to spray as much. I would like to grow them as organically as possible if that is possible in this area. The nursery I talked to implied it was impossible to do so here though I find that hard to believe. I would like to can and eat fresh the peaches so I am open to any suggestions.

Comments (3)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

Many tree fruit growers will say that it is impossible to grow tree fruits organically. By 'organic' I assume that you mean with as few toxic pesticides as possible. Is that assumption correct?

I'm afraid that you will still have to spray for all of the assorted insect and disease pests peaches are prone to, but you can choose from a variety of products that are approved for organic culture. The other factor to be mindful of, as you have already stated, is to select disease resistant varieties.

You'll need to consider pollination requirements, chilling hours as well as the disease factors, too.

Our local extension office would be a good place to obtain local information. Ken Creel would be a good man to talk to and would try to steer you in the right direction. If they don't have up-to-date information at the Cook Avenue office, Ken should be able to tap into university research information.

Be prepared to educate yourself regarding your 'organic' disease and insect options. Your trees will need considerable protection, but you should be able to grow peaches without showers of highly toxic pesticides.

• mrdoitall
    13 years ago

The nursery is 100 right. Don't waste your time and money not spraying I did that for 3 years. Did not work. Last 3 years I started spraying. You have to spray early as soon as blooms form and spray often. Call around and ask the fruit growers in the area they will tell you you will have to spray or your fruit will have worms in it. You have to spray almost all the way to harvest time. Hope this helps.

• alabamanicole
    13 years ago

There are organic options for the sprays -- they don't work as well but in the home garden more fruit loss is usually acceptable -- but if you want edible fruit, you'll be spraying at least half a dozen times a year and probably twice that.

You may want to attend Dr. Powell's upcoming lecture and garden tour on this subject at Petals from the Past in Jemison. It's a long drive from Huntsville, but worth it.

Saturday , February 5, 2011, Tree Fruits in the Home Garden - Dr. Arlie Powell
    10:30-12:00 Dr. Powell will discuss variety selection, care and maintenance of tree fruits such as apples, pears, figs, oriental persimmons, peaches and nectarines.
    12:00 - Lunch You may bring your own lunch or an optional box lunch may be purchased for $12.00. Reservations are required. Please call the retail shop at 205-646-0069 to make lunch reservations.
    12:30 - Walking tour for Petals tree fruit gardens and pruning clinic.

Source: http://www.petalsfromthepast.com/events.html

Sponsored