Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
browneyedsusan_gw

Spring Swap

browneyedsusan_gw
10 years ago

We need to start thinking about the spring swap so that I can reserve the Beaver Pavilion at Oak Mountain State Park for it.

How do May 10th or 17th sound? I cannot do the 24th because of my daughter's HS graduation.

Please let me know asap as this pavilion is the prettiest and gets booked up early.

Susan

Comments (38)

• ourhighlandhome
    10 years ago

Either date would work for me. I'm not suggesting we change the focus of the swap being primarily for plants, but I wouldn't mind seeing more arts, crafts and garden "junk". I always appreciate when Wayne can bring me driftwood, and the colored bottles & suncatchers Linda & her daughter brought last Fall were really appreciated (as was Lori's goat poop!). This might add a little more interest and bring in a few more people. Any thoughts?

• madabouteu
    10 years ago

I'd prefer May 10, though both days are OK. Having more arts and crafts is fine.

I'll post a more detailed account in the appropriate place later, but right now I can say I plan to bring transplants of a variety of cherry tomatoes and packets of pole bean seeds.

• plantman71
    10 years ago

Either is fine. Can't wait. More junk the better, since I don't need plants. I am always running to Lowes to get bags of the cheep topsoil, pinebark chips, potting soil, river rock ect. I would trade for any of theses
    I also got from Lowes a lots of there fancy small deco pots I was planning to bring some of these.
    Tony

• ourhighlandhome
    10 years ago

Susan,

I suggest you call OMSP and reserve the BP for May 10th. In the meantime, let's all think of ways to increase attendance and share them here. I'm going to post a flyer on the message boards at the businesses I visit regularly. I think you can post events on Craig's List, etc., also.

• browneyedsusan_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will reserve it for May 10th- I was waiting for more responses. Now I have to wait for the roads to clear so that people can get back to Oak Mountain to take reservations! I spent the night sleeping on the floor of my office-the roads around UAB are impassable.

Over the years I have traded for pots, jewelry, suncatchers, geodes, rocks, preserves,manure etc. We should certainly encourage people to bring art and crafts to trade and do all we can to increase attendance..

Susan

• kolet66
    10 years ago

Hello...

I plan to participate. I am getting ready to do my seed starts for veggies, Herbs and some annual flowers ie zinnia, dahlia,etc... If anyone would like to trade for some starts let me know what you'd like and I'll plant extra per zone 7b guidelines. Please see my page for some things I'd like... Although I am open to suggestions. I'm an experienced vegetable and herb gardener but I've built up my soil over the last year and am ready and excited to plant perennials etc

• plantman71
    10 years ago

kolet66, It will be great to have you join us. I have been looking for mixed colors in Touch me nots for a long time. I have all on your want list except blackberrys and the figs. Also like to read and have several hundred extra books. I love yard art.
    I have lots ofROS that have seeded, some 4' high all colors,other scrubs, lots of spreading monkey grass, big blue monkey grass and verigated monkey grass,Lots of other things I am taking up.
    I do inperson trade here in B'ham I have a 200x200 graden and all of it needs plants removed.
    All the other regulars have plants on your want list. Check out our plant lists and see some of the things we had and might still have after the big cold down we just had.
    If interest in an inperson trade, EMail me.

• ourhighlandhome
    10 years ago

Susan,

Were you able to secure the pavilion? If so I/we can begin to spread the news?

• browneyedsusan_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have reserved Beaver Pavilion in Oak Mountain State Park for May 10. Our reservation number is N9309.
    Please spread the word!

Susan

• ourhighlandhome
    10 years ago

Thanks, friend! I look forward to seeing you there, along with everyone else. I'm hoping to bring several pots of the "climbing lilies" below (Gloriosa 'Rothschildiana').

• Apple911
    10 years ago

I am hoping to come again this year. I made my first one a couple of years ago, but due to some unfortunate events last year I was living in an apartment (sadness!). I now am living in a beautiful house, but I HAVE NO FLOWERS (more sadness!). No telling what "junk" I may find between now and then to swap out though :). Look forward to seeing you all!

• elfs_garden
    10 years ago

Hi everyone. I live in Goodwater, Alabama. Been here about 2 years. I think I would live to come to this and maybe bring a few friends too. However I need to first find out exactly what will be going on here that day as it is also my birthday and I may have to be in Greenville SC for that weekend. I will check in later regarding that.

• alabamanicole
    10 years ago

I haven't been before, but I am going to try to come this year. Heaven knows what I will bring... whatever is left alive, I guess! Perhaps some herbs and extra veggie starts and seeds. Maybe some of my photography stuff as well.

I may not need much in the way of plants, but I have a hankering for some tasteful for fun yard and garden art.

• lsmcw
    10 years ago

Rats! I can't make it that day. I have a craft show scheduled.

• elfs_garden
    10 years ago

Cleared my calendar! I will be there and can bring a few plants and will bring some garden art projects too! There will be 3 of us coming.

• Orchidllauraga
    10 years ago

I want to come, but I don't have any plants to swap...I can bring cash though, would that be alright???

• madabouteu
    10 years ago

No, money is one thing not accepted. Do you have seeds? Spare pots, even used ones? Anything at all related to gardening?

• Orchidllauraga
    10 years ago

I have marigold seeds II kept from last fall...but that is about it..

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Laura, some other items that have been warmly welcomed are homemade baked goods, plant tags, potting soil, gardening books, tools, garden related art, yard art, you get the idea.

• ourhighlandhome
    10 years ago

Laura,

Bag up some pinestraw (a 55-gal. bagfull will get you a trade with me!) Collect newspaper (no shiny stuff), interesting pieces of old wood (driftwood, stumps, cedar posts, etc.). You have no idea what crazy gardening folks will want to take home with them.

Colorful bottles, river rock, interesting pieces of glassware? (Photo of "glass totem" made from such.) Cattle farm nearby? Sack up some shee-ot and we'll become best friends. Cans of WD-40 (to coat your pruning shears), Thompson's Waterseal (to preserve driftwood, birdhouses, metal garden "junque"? It's easy! Be creative....and be there!

We look forward to meeting you.

Nelson

• elfs_garden
    10 years ago

Darn Nelson,, that is a great list of items for swapping. I may not have many plants,, but,, I do have lots of stuff on your list and maybe more. Would anyone like to trade some scrap stained glass for plants or beads for making jewelry, or maybe a pile of pretty dishes? I have all that and more!

• elfs_garden
    10 years ago

Here is a picture of one of the things I make!

• madabouteu
    10 years ago

Elfs-garden, speaking for myself, things like that would be a hit!

• mws366
    10 years ago

elfs-garden----we can trade, what are approx. measurements of some of your art work?

wayne

• ourhighlandhome
    10 years ago

elfs-garden,

Look over my Exchange Page - I'd love to trade for some of your stained glass scraps, beads, dishes (esp. if they are colored), etc. You are gonna absolutely love the swap (and take home some nice plants)!

Nelson

• elfs_garden
    10 years ago

Sorry so long in replying. I will bring as much of the scrap glass, some of my art beachy vases, and what ever else I can think of. I do have hostas if anyone like those. Also have a forest if native ferns I can dig up the day before the swap. I have to go to my old house to get the beads, scrap glass, and also the dishes for mosaicing.. I have lots of dishes already cut or broken up for mosaicing too. Will be very happy to share.
    Nelson I looked at your trade page... would love to have many things on your list!!!

I have enough stuff to trade with any and everyone.

As for how tall my beachy vases are they range from a couple of inches to over 12 inches tall. I just make them as the urge hits me. Will make a bunch more for this RU if anyone is interested.

• elfs_garden
    10 years ago

Wayne I sent you an email. Nelson, I will make you a couple to choose from too!

• plantman71
    10 years ago

Elfs-garden, Check my page and see if you find anything, I like the two blue ones. I haven't started adding my plants for the swap yet, but I might still have things on my list. Do you have any of the huge hostas?

• browneyedsusan_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Elfs_garden,

I'd like to trade for the white bottle with the starfish and nautilus. Your work is beautiful!
    Please check out my list. I will be updating it as perennials reappear.

Susan

• elfs_garden
    10 years ago

Ummm,, guys,,, I already pro iced all of the ones shown to other folks. These were just to show what I make. I promise to post more pictures or email pictures to everyone who wants one. That way I will not get confused. I unfortunately cannot make any more of the one with the nautilus on them, because they are just simply to expensive to make. So sorry...

• catbird
    10 years ago

The best advertising for the swap is personal contact. Kenneth and I have gotten several master gardeners from Gadsden to come and I'm working on a few other friends. If you're on Facebook, post information and the link for your FB friends.

Elf: You can start a new thread and add pictures as you have them.

I've had so much going on this year I haven't had time to hang out here, much less think about plants to prepare. I may not have anything to bring, but I'll come just to see everyone.

• elfs_garden
    10 years ago

So sorry to have hijacked this.

• elfs_garden
    10 years ago

So sorry to have hijacked this.

• alabamanicole
    10 years ago

I posted my list in exchanges. As I get a better idea of what did okay after the winter, there may be more.

• mws366
    10 years ago

who is coming ?

• Apple911
    10 years ago

I'll be there if it's still on the 10th. I might be able to bring some manure from my parents farm if anyone is interested. Not putting it in my car unless I get requests for it, lol. I can save glass jars and bottles for those who are crafty with glass.

• catbird
    10 years ago

I plan to come. Haven't posted a plant list yet, but will as soon as I can get a few minutes.

• elfs_garden
    10 years ago

I would love manure and any bottles you have.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz