Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tsmith2579

thank you - pondereosa lemon

tsmith2579
17 years ago

To whomever gave me the Ponderosa lemon cutting, THANKS. I overwintered it in the greenhouse last winter, it was just a green stick with a couple of small leaves. Last summer it grew to over six feet tall, a handsome tree. GOOD NEWS - it now has buds all over it. Every limb is tipped in bloom buds. I look forward to harvesting the 3 lb lemons. To whomever gave me the Ponderosa lemon cutting, THANKS. We'll make you a lemon pie or a pot of Greek lemon pasta.

Comments (7)

• birdlady_10
    17 years ago

I think I gave that to you.They are neat plants aren't they? Mine is in full bloom right now too--makes the GH smell sooo good.My grapefruit,Meyer's lemon,kumguat,limequat & key lime are setting fruit also.Greek lemon pasta? Now that sounds good!! :o) Jan

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jan, yes it was you who gave me the lemon. My brain kept saying JAN but I wasn't sure if it was Birdlady Jan or Jan down near Montgomery. Thank you so VERY, VERY, VERY much. It grew so fast abd is so pretty. Sylvia and I have OOOOHed and AAAAAHed over it time and time again. THANKS SO MUCH!

Terry

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I picked the last of my crop of Ponderosa lemons today. We have picked 17 lemons on a 7 foot tree. The last 5 I picked today weighed almost 12 lbs. We made 2 lemon meringue pies for Thanksgiving which had a great taste. Only took 1 1/2 lemons. The skin begins to dry quickly after picking so I am going to slice them and freeze them for future use. Tomorrow I'm going to prune the tree and fertilize it. I've got to get it ready for next spring's blooms. Birdlady, we have enjoyed it so much. Thanks.

• orchiddude
    16 years ago

Hey yall,
    You know I have read alot over the years about people growing lemons and limes etc...
    What types of trees and sizes are available? I dont know much about growing lemons but would love to try.
    Do they make a dwarf tree?

• orchiddude
    16 years ago

Terry, is your email having problems? It doesnt like my address.

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I had to tell y'all a story about persistence and patience. In Oct. 2006 I took four cuttings of the Ponderosa lemon and put them in a clay pot. By spring of 2007 one of them had rooted. A dear friend with whom I have worked for 32 years wanted to start a P. lemon from seed after I showed her pictures of giant green lemons. In Sept. 2007 I repotted the one cutting which had sprouted and gave it to her for her 60th birthday present.
    The other 3 cuttings showed no sign of sprouting but were still green. In Oct I put the 3 cuttings in the greenhouse. Today when I was watering I noticed one of the 3 cuttings had sprouted. So I am just biding my time and waiting on the others. Plus I pruned the lemon when I put it in the greenhouse and I took more cuttings. Hopefully by spring I'll have several P. lemons to trade and give away.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

• pearlgirl
    16 years ago

Good luck with your P Lemon, Terry!! Of course it's going
    to grow for you...you're so kind, sharing and considerate
    of others wants/desires (I know!!)
    Good luck in the New Year in ALL that you do AND grow :):)

your friend Margaret

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor