Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tsmith2579

Sweet Shrub - Calycanthus 'Venus'

tsmith2579
15 years ago

I saw it at the Almost Eden website (they are out of stock until March). It has a 3 1/2 inch white flower with a strawberry, melon and spice fragrance. Has anyone seen it growing? Does it do well in Alabama? Do you know of a local nursery which has it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweet Shrub - Calycanthus

Comments (10)

• wipe_yo_feets
    15 years ago

This isn't a definate answer, but I have seen calycanthus floridus growing wild in Etowah county, so that may indicate that it will potentialy do well in the area.

I have C. floridus growing in a pot that I got from a nursery, and it hasn't done very well. Thats probably my fault somehow though.

I haven't seen C. "Venus" in a local nursery. It sounds cool though.

• birdlady_10
    15 years ago

Terry; I have it growing.It has done well in a part shade location & lean soil.It's a slow grower but was covered this year in a pale yellow fragrant blossoms.I like it.I also have "Heritge Wine" which has a large dark red blossom but not much smell.It's doing great also.Hope this helps.Jan

• acoma
    15 years ago

I saw Calycanthus Floridus 'Athens' at Colliers Nursery in Vestavia this weekend. I understand it does well in this area but have not grown it myself.

• spider_lily
    15 years ago

I have Sweet Shrub with the dark burgandy red flowers smells sooo good

• nightwind
    15 years ago

I'd love to find some around Autauga or Montgomery county Al to buy. My Gram used to make sachets using them for our dresser drawers. It's been at least 40 years since I've seen any. If any one knows where I can buy them around Autauga or Montgomery county I'd appreciate knowing. Glad I found this forum! Happy Valemtines to everyone!

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nightwind, I hope you read this. Be sure to set up you profile so you can receive emails theough Gardenweb. I want to say welcome to the Alabama Forum. Tell us a little bit about you.

• bettysimsstewart
    15 years ago

Hello,I am from Pike county Alabama,and I remenber it growing wild,in my childhood.I use to have one at another home.They are wonderful.

• idig
    15 years ago

Ohhh, I want this 'Venus'! Jan, where did you get yours? I can't tell from Almost Eden's website what size they send. Does anyone know?

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    15 years ago

idig, here is the email I received from Almost Eden asking about the same thing.
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: Terry Smith
    Sent: Sunday, January 04, 2009 8:36 PM
    Subject: Re: Question about the product Product Code: =B40038
    We have more coming , maybe here March, likely 6-10" tall.
    If you do not find an item, please call, or e-mail, sometimes we have a few 'strays'. We mainly ship on Mondays, by U.S. Priority Mail. You may then expect delivery in 2 to 3 days. The system we use removes items from the availability inventory, when you order. We then ship as soon as possible. Please note....The shipping charge is added into the total cost, but is shown separately for your information only. It is figured like this..$6.00 to box entire order, and then $1.95 extra for each plant..Cost to ship one + 7.95, two + 9.90. three + 11.85, etc... TIP: We have some new plants listed that can be accessed by using the ÂSearch feature !! Would you like a copy of our current inventory list ?. If we can be of further assistance, please contact us.
    Thanks & Good Growing, and have a great 2009...
    John McMillian
    Almost Eden jeffm@almostedenplants.com
    1240 Smith Road
    Merryville, La, 70653
    337-375-2114

• idig
    15 years ago

Thanks!