Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
growseeds

Tomatoes grown in Alabama in the 20s - 30s - 40s?

growseeds
17 years ago

Do you know of tomatoes that where grown in your area of Alabama in

1920s

1930s

1940s

I would like to know the different ones grown in Alabama during those years. If you know of some please post them.

Comments (9)

• widower
    17 years ago

Atkinson I understand is a very old tomato also Marglobe. Tell you what there is a gentleman in my Sunday school class that is 92 years old and has a mind as sharp a a razor I will ask him tomorrow and post what he says.

• tedposey
    17 years ago

I don't believe Atkinsons is that old. It was developed at Auburn specifically for this climate. I first heard of it maybe twenty years ago.
    I remember my parents growing Marglobe, Rutgers and Oxheart in the 30's. They tried others but I don't remember the names. I still grow Rutgers and see Marglobe seed advertised. There are now several varieties of Oxheart. The one they grew was shaped somewhat like a true heart, not the valentine, and had a blueish tinge to the red when ripe.
    I'm curious about why you want this info?

• growseeds
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I begin thinking about growing some tomatoes last year and had been reading information about heirloom tomatoes. So I went to the seed stores and asked about them and if they carried any. Well they did not carry any seeds of most of the ones I had read about - Brandywine, Cherokee Purple and others. And as we talked I asked if their was any tomatoes native to Alabama when it was being settled. And no one knew. After some searching I found out that a tomato was cultivated in Alabama called the Jeff Davis. So I have been searching for 1) are there any tomatoes that are (where) native to Alabama. 2) What kinds of tomatoes my Grandparents grew (or might have grown - that would be the tomatoes by years)

I also come up Rutgers and Marglobe - but no one remembers when they where introduced into Alabama. I wrote the guy that has the tomato radio show last year and he said he remembered Mortage Lifter being grown around their area but did not know when they where introduced to Alabama.

I have even asked some of the seeds stores if they had keep records of the type of seeds they sold during those years and they did not.

I was asking about okra also because Alabama Red used to be very popular here but isn't grown that much around here anymore (I did find seeds for them and plan on planting some this year) - then I stated looking for white lightning okra as I have heard that there was a white okra grown arounf here that was white and used for pickling but no one remembered the name after some searching found the one called white lightning but it looks like it isn't grown any more. I did find it's parantage is the White Velvet but it has a green tinge to it.

• tedposey
    17 years ago

I don't believe there were any tomatos "Native" to Alabama.
    I believe I read that it originated in Peru. Was thought to be poisonous for many years since it's a member of the nightshade family.
    Alabama was settled in the early 1800's not 1920's, and I doubt you'll find any reference to what they grew back then.
    Sorry I never heard of the Alabama red okra. I'd like to try some white velvet, after gonefishin' recommens it so highly, but haven't found a source for seed in any of the dozen catalogs I got.

• tedposey
    17 years ago

While browsing various seed companies looking for White velvet i ran across Alabama Red at: www.southernexposeure.com. You may want to check them out.
    I found white velvet at one location but they wanted $2.85 for only 1 gram of seed. That might plant 5 ft of row. I plant two 25/30 ft rows. lol Think I'll try So. Ex. Evertender instead.

• growseeds
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LOL I was doing the same thing and found
    White Velet Okra at Heirloom Acres 100 seeds for 95 cents
    http://www.heirloomacresseeds.com/CatalogGrp.asp?prm=1

and found Alabama Red okra about 50 seeds for 2.50 at Baker Creek (they have a download pdf catolog)
    http://www.rareseeds.com/

• kbartoy_hotmail_com
    16 years ago

I have planted the Alabama Red from Baker Creek in our garden in Old Hickory, TN. The plants are thriving in a real poor soil area of the garden.

http://bartoy.blogspot.com/2007/06/africa-and-asia-join-our-garden-united.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Life has taught us ...

• mimidi
    16 years ago

Check out this site. I have ordered heirloom tomatoes from them. Good plants. Cherokee purple and Arkansas traveler are two good ones. I gave up on trying to grow tomatoes. I just don't have the touch.

This company is located in Heflin, Alabama. I believe they believe in growing organic. They have also been written up in several top magazines. Much more to off than tomatoes. Great herb selection.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Tasteful Garden

• kkinal
    16 years ago

I am growing Alabama Red okra this year too, it's really good fried, but it's probably the biggest piece of fried okra ever---the pods are so fat! (it is the biggest & healthiest of the 3 varieties I planted)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services