New USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Maps posted

Posted by alabamanicole 7b (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 28, 12 at 21:35

We've been waiting on this a long time, but it's finally out:

http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Maps posted

I'm in zone 7b, though lately with the kind of weather we've been having, I believe I'm in the Twilight Zone.

o

yeah i went up to 7b :) thanks for posting
jen

o

I went up to 7b, too, but there's a spot about a mile away as the crow flies still at 7a. Not that I'd be inclined to try and push my zone for so little gain. But I do like that we now have a map that's much more specific and you can really zoom in!

o

I upgraded from 7b to 8a. Can I grow oranges in Tuscaloosa now? :)

o

Why not? They grow oranges in Knoxville, TN and in Auburn, AL. :)

o

alabamanicole, This map has nothing to do with when you plant your garden. This map is made for plant selection. It is telling you that you can grow plants that can take temperatures as low as 5-10 F. You are still in zone 7a for frost dates and when you can safely plant your garden. Hope this helps you and maybe keeps others from planting to soon thinking they are now in zone 7b for planting time.

Later
Dwight

o

Thank you, Dwight, but I do understand that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here