Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growing strawberries

Posted by wildturkey_grower (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 10, 12 at 21:43

If anyone has experience in growing good sweet strawberries in a home garden, please let me know how to do it right. What varieties to order and where to order from. When to set out plants and what to expect. I have 3'X12' raised beds 6" deep filled with compost. I am very successful with other vegetables but strawberries have not done well. Please help IF YOU KNOW HOW TO DO IT RIGHT IN ALABAMA.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing strawberries

One more detail, I do not like the big strawberries that are sold in most stores. They are mostly white inside and have a very acidic taste.

o

Store-bought strawberries are the way they are because they are pumped as full of water as possible before shipping. They are sold by the pound, and water is heavy. Plus most shoppers seem to equate size with quality, so they are delivering what the market wants.

Do you want to grow commercial style -- in rows on plastic and replanting each year -- or in a more lazy "home" style in an established bed that you thin periodically?

Do you want an ever-bearing or June bearing variety?

When you say they haven't done well for you, what is the problem you are experiencing?

Also, what part of Alabama are you in?

I ordered the June-bearing "Chandler" from Petals from the Past last year, and was very pleased with the plant quality. They are a very nice tasting berry, sweet but tart.

Sunny raised beds with compost sounds like a good start. What was the compost made of? If it was heavily tree leaves and semi-finished (like most municipal compost), the first year can inhibit seed germination and plant growth.

o

I ordered 50 each of Chandler, Allstar, and Earliglow from Simmons Plant Farm. Their customer service is great and the price isn't too bad either. The plants are scheduled to arrive by February 20th and will be going in the ground soon there after.

Here is a link that might be useful: Simmons Plant Farm

o

Question, has anyone had any luck growing strawberries in those strawberry pots? Are any particular varities that do better than others? I was going to go to Home Depot and get some Miracle Grow potting soil to use in the pots.

I got some strawberry starts at Big Lots and thought I'd give them a try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here