Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bcb77

Photos of rock used as edgers for flowerbeds?

bcb77
17 years ago

I need some inspiration and advice. I posted this question over on the Gardening with Stone forum, but thought I'd ask my fellow Alabamians, as well.

I'm searching for photos of nice rock borders used around flowerbeds/ front yard islands with trees. I'm thinking of assembling some type of ledgestone or flagstone either stacked or leaning at 45 degrees angling inward toward the trees. I'm open to other suggestions on the type of rock to use and how to lay it. I want the beds raised slightly (maybe 7-9"?) above ground level. There is one round island and two kidney beaned shaped, so I need something that flows with the curved lines.

I have some ideas of what I want in my head, but would love some pics to share with my landscaper so we'll be on the same page.

Anyone know of a good website to see pics of landscaping done this way?

Also, what is the best option for keeping Bermudagrass from creeping into my beds?

Thanks for any help!

Comments (6)

• roseyp8255
    17 years ago

yes, i'll take suggestions on the bermuda as well. personally, i have to say roundup is about it, and that is not permanent....

• terramadre
    17 years ago

Some of the links at google/web contain images of rock edging. Click on Images for more ideas.
    You may want to read this ;-) The Losing Battle Against Bermuda Grass.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google

• jeff_al
    17 years ago

here is one possibility for you to keep the grass out.
    i have this around a large sweeping bed (no rocks, though).
    it is installed deeply enough to keep the grass out of the beds.
    i don't mind the look of it but you could easily place rocks on the inside of the curve and allow them to lay over the top of the edging. it is very easy to install and make the curves flow as you wish.
    this company has other items in the gardening section for making raised beds, etc., along with some unique gift ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: pound-in edging

• squirrellypete
    17 years ago

Hi there. Here are some pics of a couple of different rock borders. I am no landscaper and this is VERY informal. I just used pretty much any and all large rocks I dug out of the ground. But it goes well with the log cabin we live in. It may not be to everyone's tastes though:

Basically just any large rocks from the ground stood on edge to your liking and partially buried to hold them in place. First year pics of beds being built:

{{gwi:358393}}

{{gwi:358394}}

Here are also a couple shots of a natural chopped log border. We chainsawed trees on our property that had either fallen or been knocked down. Downside is they do decay over time & need to be replenished.

{{gwi:358395}}

{{gwi:358398}}

2nd year pics
    {{gwi:358399}}

{{gwi:358400}}

{{gwi:358401}}

{{gwi:358402}}

{{gwi:358403}}

{{gwi:358404}}

{{gwi:358405}}

Stack rock/mortar wall I built...again, very informal

{{gwi:358406}}

Year 3 pics:

{{gwi:358407}}

Another shorter stack rock/mortar wall
    {{gwi:358408}}

{{gwi:358409}}

Just some ideas. Afraid I can't help with the grass issue since I haven't put a lawn in yet lol. Good luck with your project.

Sincerely, Squirrellypete

• loveofmylife680
    17 years ago

Squirrellypete, I think you did a wonderful job. Wish I had that big of rocks around here. I have some odd looking rocks but mine are more round. Nice home site, I bet the view is stunning.
    Jill

• squirrellypete
    17 years ago

Hi Jill. Thank you for the compliment. I spent alot of time looking for rocks like that all over the property and even at some friend's houses. Some got unearthed by the equipment when we built but others I just had to hunt. I'll bet you've got some too that are hiding just under the surface of the clay. They're sneaky like that. I tried to find prettier quartz type rocks but in the end had to go with whatever I could find that was the appropriate size. Individually some of them aren't very attractive but mixed together it looks allright.

Might look like a tiny rock until you dig at it a little and sometimes you've got a mammoth one as big as you lol. There was one I found in our island that I thought was only about 1 ft across. Once I started digging a little I wound up with a 4-foot wide hole in the ground lol and the thing still isn't unearthed all the way to this day lol. I finally had to give up on that one.

Sincerely, Squirrellypete

Sponsored