Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ourhighlandhome

Facebook Friends

ourhighlandhome
13 years ago

I de-activated my Facebook account tonight after spending a few months as a "member" and only a few minutes getting acquainted with it's features.

I never could figure out exactly how it worked, but was very uncomfortable with how it spread information so quickly to millions of people. It freaked me out to be contacted by hundreds of people "it" said I "knew", but I DIDN'T! And a few I did, and it was good to hear from them; ya;ll know who you are: Jan, Rosemary, Jill, Wayne, Todd, Arlene, etc., he!!, I can't remember ALL the names it said I "knew"! LOL!

It's a very useful tool in certain situations, it's just not for me. So I hope none of you are offended. If you are just contact me by the "old school" way - email.

Now I've got to get back to my football. ROLL TIDE!!!!!

Nelson

Comments (7)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

I'm with you, Nelson. I joined Facebook a couple of years ago after receiving a bunch of 'invitations' after a high school reunion (which I did not attend). I didn't like it and dropped the account after several months.

My husband has an account and seems to enjoy the heck out of it.

• john_trussville
    13 years ago

Nelson, I agree. It's a little too "public" for my liking, also.

BTW: do you know if Joseph is going to be open this year? Stopped by there two or three times last summer but never saw him around.

• ourhighlandhome
    Original Author
    13 years ago

John,

Unfortunately, Joseph decided to close "Hazel's". His son now occupies the house and takes care of the property; Joseph took the majority of his plants, Peanut and Bull's Eye, and moved in with his mom to take care of her.

I respect his decision, but it's another blow to the the Alabama gardening community....

• john_trussville
    13 years ago

Gee, I hate to hear that....but if his mother needed his help I cetainly understand. Sure am gonna miss going by there though...

• catbird
    13 years ago

We have a large, close-knit, far-flung extended family, so I enjoy having facebook to keep up with children, grandchildren, nieces, and nephews from CA to NC to Fl. There are several Master Gardener groups that have facebook pages, but we haven't developed one here yet. I know what you mean about it showing all the people it thinks you may know and having lots of people you do know ask to be friends, but I just ignore most of those.

• plantcrazy222
    13 years ago

There is a tool on the FB that you can make yourself completely private. No one but the person you are posting to can see your comments. I just have not figured it all out yet. I love it because I moved away from where I grew up and had no way of finding anybody but going back home and going to the old houses which was 28 yrs ago.

• mws366
    13 years ago

nelson---i agree. my time is valuable and i can't justify
    facebook. this forum and email are better ways to stay in touch with gardening friends.

wayne

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting