Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Woodlanders Nursery

Posted by josh z8 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 4, 06 at 7:08

I'm looking for unusual, rarely seen for sale locally, shrubs and trees. Examples: Callistemon, Arbutus unedo, and Koelreuteria bipinnata. Also another Aralia spinosa having left one behind on recent move.

I've found them at Woodlanders but can't find info on-site about sizes or shipping costs. Has anyone had experience with these folks? I like to order from nurseries in southeast, and don't mind small plants as long as very well rooted. And I of course know shipping/handling is high...just want a definite total amount.

I'd appreciate your comments...pro or con. josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Woodlanders

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Woodlanders Nursery-corrected link

Sorry, correct link is

Here is a link that might be useful: Woodlanders

o
RE: Woodlanders Nursery

I've never had good luck with Woodlanders. I believe they substituted something else for what I ordered too often for sheer coincidence. The items I received were in good shape but few grew well and seldom lived more than two seasons. I always wound up with a non-refundable credit of a few dollars due to substitutions which was sort of an incentive to buy more stuff or lose your credit. My last experience with them was when I called to complain about a brug which when it bloomed was not true to type. I asked it I could mail it back to them and get a credit or a repplacement. They pretty much told me they didn't care about my complaint. That was my last order from them. Since then, I believe they have new owners but I still do not do business with them. They certainly have some interesting, hard to find items, if you can get them. Now let me say this. I did order a double oakleaf hydrangea from them which has grown well and has been absolutely beautiful. It is the pride of the garden.

o

Josh - check out Gardenwatchdog for more info on them - link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardenwatchdog

o

Thanks, tsmith, for the feedback. I had ordered from original owners years ago and had good experience with plants received. Somewhere I had read of the change(s) in ownership and service, and after hearing of your experience and checking the Garden Watchdog (thanks, Rosey) I see I was right to be concerned.

Back to looking...may have to order from Forestfarm after all. I just prefer ordering closer to home if possible. Thanks again. josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here