Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
prune lantana?

Posted by michelle11 z7 AL (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 27, 06 at 7:55

Is it time to prune lantana now? What happens if you don't prune it? Does it continue to grow on old wood (mine has several branches that look OLD)? Does it tend to do better if you cut it back to the ground?
Thanks for any help! This is the first spring I have had one. I am in Birmingham, if that helps.
Michelle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: prune lantana?

Most of the professional suggestions I've seen for our area suggest that we wait until spring green-up (or just before) to cut lantana back to the ground. It will not regrow on old wood. As a matter of fact, much of the lantana that I've seen since living here in Huntsville (only 3 years), does not return at all. (I've not grown any myself since moving here so I don't know what the story with that is.) Perhaps it will behave differently in Birmingham, though I see that you've posted 7 as your USDA climate zone.

In warmer climates, it can be cut back earlier to remove the unsightly branches.

o

Hey Michelle,

Mine comes back whether I cut it back or not. Mine is still up. I will prune it back soon. It is very late coming up. In fact, you will probably think it is dead and then one day you will see it coming back from the roots.

Deb

o

Michelle I read several years ago in a southern living mag. not to cut back because water will get in the stems and cause the plant to rot I cant remember when it said to cut it back but I do trim mine just a little then when I see new growth I cut the stem back some more, not saying thats the right thing to do its just what I do. Maybe you can research at southern living site and might find the story.
Jill

o

I live in Ohio and I want to save my lantanas.. they are simply beautiful and wish to keep them over the winter months if possible. Any suggestions? I can bring them indoors ..should I repot them? Trim them back? etc? Thanks in advance for a reply.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here