Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good Gardening Reads

Posted by myselfandi 8a (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 4, 10 at 8:42

Every January, I have this all-consuming desire to read and re-read gardening books. Thought I would share the ones I have just completed, and I am interested to know if anyone else has read these lately. I thoroughly enjoy all three and read them over and over again every year: Mrs. Whaley and Her Charleston Garden, by Emily Whaley; In a Southern Garden, by Carol Bishop Hipps; and, of course, the classic, The American Woman's Garden by Rosemary Verey. I can't wait for spring!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good Gardening Reads

I'm not familiar with The American Woman's Garden, but I really enjoy In A Southern Garden. It is a classic, informational and entertaining. Very practical advice from a down-to earth (pardon the pun) gardener.

o

I bought American Women's Garden on Amazon for almost nothing, and it was even the hardback version. I would highly recommend it. It is an old book, published in 1983, but it highlights in detail several of the best and historic gardens in the United States. It was recommended by several other gardening books that I have read over the years. Emily Whaley's garden is highlighted in the book, and ironically, I read her book, Mrs. Whaley's Charleston Garden, at least once a year. It is very well-written and a joy to read. It seems we share the same opinion of In a Southern Garden. It is so witty and full of good information on plants. Since she breaks it down month by month, I like to review it sometimes monthly but usually read it all the way through at least once a year.

o

• Posted by rayama 7b Birmingham, Al (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 25, 10 at 18:03

I loved "In Seach of Old Roses."

Also, not exactly a gardening book, but MC Beaton's "Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener." It's the 3rd in a mystery series. Agatha is decidedly NOT a gardener, but her village is having a gardening contest, so after she kills all of her seedlings by planting them early, she hires a landscaping company to plant her garden at 3 am the night before the contest. It's hysterical.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here