Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alahemlover

Lack of Gardening T.V. Shows

alahemlover
17 years ago

Where have all the good t.v. gardeneing shows gone?

Where are t.v. southern gardening shows?

Many folks new to gardening formerly relied upon advice from gardening shows. HGTV carries a show 1-2 times a month. A.P.T. in Birmingham carries "The Victory Garden", run for 31 years out of Mass. Would it be rational for a southerner to follow advice from a Zone 4/5 Massachusetts gardener?

Good southern gardening shows should include ornamental as well as vegetable and fruits, and propagation too.

To voice your opinion, contact Ala Public Television

Charles Grantham, Chief Operating Officer

(800) 239-5233 Ext.132

Email: cgrantham@aptv.org

Comments (8)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

I totally agree with you about the lack of good (or even crummy) gardening shows. To tell the truth, I haven't watched The Victory Garden with these new hosts (just once did it), but was fairly addicted to Crockett, Thompson, and Swain who passed on good horticultural practices adaptable to any part of the country.

I require a show that doesn't dumb things down, gets their facts straight, introduces some new plants, and visits lots of gardens and gardeners.

With the hobby gardening industry the single most active group in this country, I'd think that HGTV would jump back on the bandwagon. It's a multi-billion dollar industry, backed by an incredible corporate faction. Why don't they (HGTV) get that?

• tsmith2579
    17 years ago

I haven't watched Victory Garden in a couple of years. The last info I received from APTV when I complained was VG had been dropped. Are they new shows or repeats? I enjoyed VG when Bob Thompson and his ensemble cast were on TV. It was still OK when Roger Swain took over. VG was better than nothing but I wasn't a fan after the format and host changed. HGTV needs to take the G out of their name.

• tweetypye
    17 years ago

I agree about HGTV. They used to have several pretty good gardening shows, but they've stopped showing most of them, and you know what, I've stopped watching HGTV. All that "design" crap and home buying stuff just repeats itself, over and over. I used to love the show where they visited gardens all over the US. I remember once when they visited a guys garden on Lake Martin. They certainly do need to take the "G" out of their name!! or start showing more gardening programs one!!
    I was once a big fan of HGTV, but no more, not until they get with the program!!
    Jan

• loveofmylife680
    17 years ago

We all need to get on a letter writing frenzy to hgtv,
    I know if enough people write it will change.
    Jill

• feathertrader
    17 years ago

For those in the lower Alabama area and Florida Panhandle there is a garden show put on by Pensacola Jr. College (public broadcasting).
    Its not a foo-foo show, but VERY informative and they take calls in to the show. Sorry I don't know the times but maybe for those that don't live in this area "might" find some local broadcast stations have something similar.

• squirrellypete
    17 years ago

I am with you on the whole HGTV thing. I started to notice a cut in their gardening shows and have since quit watching. I don't know about the rest of you but one of my faves was Paul James, the gardener guy. I think his first show was "Gardening by the Yard". He did try to simplify alot of things for newer gardeners but I thought it had a great mix of info and humor. Anyone know if he is still on the air anywhere/time??

Squirrellypete

Danielle

• sundog7
    17 years ago

Gardening by the Yard is on HGTV Sunday mornings at 6:30 and 7:00. It's also on Saturdays at 11:00 AM. All reruns, of course, but it's my favorite gardening program.

It's true that HGTV has very little about gardening nowadays.

• angelfairy
    17 years ago

HGTV is nothing but a big commercial now...have you noticed that? "I want That", and a million shows on real estate buying/selling...gee, I wonder whose paying them to run shows like that??? I used to be crazy about A Gardeners Diary but they won't run her new series she made for some reason. I think the network is trying to "go cheap" and is only running shows they are getting a kickback from someone or are cheap to purchase or make. The only ones I watch now are "Whats With That House" and the other one that is similar. (name escapes me right now) They are obviously catering to very young, inexperienced, viewers now. DIY is not much better.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus