Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My cast iron plants are rusting

Posted by hawk (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 22, 06 at 9:54

I planted 5 large cast iron plants around an oak tree several years ago. Ive noticed that the larger leaves have turned yellow in color and have brown edges. There are plenty of smaller healty looking leaves in each plant. Is it necessary to prune the discolored leaves from these plants on a regular basis. Also, can these be dug up and separated similar to a hosta? If so, what is the best time of the year to do that?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My cast iron plants are rusting

Tattered and yellowing/browning leaves are normal for this plant, especially when spring is just around the corner. As a rule for ALL plants, diseased or dieing parts should be removed whenever you notice them. It takes energy from the plant to support such leaves. If the entire plant seems the worse for wear, it can be cut all the way to the ground in the early spring.

Yes, these plants can and should be divided occasionally. You can do so by digging the entire thing up or by simply severing any part of the crown as long as there is an active growing point. I would say that this should be done in the spring, too, though perhaps someone else can comment on that.

It's always helpful to know from what general part of the country a poster comes from. Climate makes a huge difference.

o

• Posted by hawk 7b- AL (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 23, 06 at 9:35

Thanks Rhizo each of the plants have healthy new growth so I'll try prunning the tattered discolored leaves. It's great for us novices to have a resource like this.

o

Yes it is nice to have help like this, I got a little clump from a friend last year, how long does it take for it to start producing more plants?
Jill

o

These plants spread steadily but not rampantly. You may not want to consider dividing your plant for three or four years, or more! The appearance of a nice fat clump of Aspidistra is more attractive than the new divisions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here