Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rock wall help and rock available

Posted by michelle11 z7 AL (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 4, 06 at 10:41

I am making a 1.5-2ft raised bed with rock that was excavated from a lot nearby. It is mostly the softer rock with veins of iron ore running through it, and some granite. It is very pretty but I am wondering if I am doing alot of hard work for something that will collapse on me in a couple of years? The rock required alot of jackhammering for them to excavate.
Also, the builder said that anyone is welcome to come get the rock and fill dirt, but it will have to be done within the next month before he hauls it away. If anyone is interested, send me an email and I will give you directions.
Michelle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rock wall help and rock available

If it is the really soft sandstone, it will crumble in a few years. I would look for the harder stuff to use in my wall. If the granite is not the color you want, you can buy ironite fertilizer, mix it with water and spray on the wall face. It will rust and turn brown. Copper spray will turn it blue-green.

I would like some of the rocks and fill dirt. Is this located somewhere around Birmingham?

Thanks

Terry

o

You can put some chicken wire between some of the bottom/support rocks and it will stand up..If the ground moves or settles under the rock wall it will crumble..So make sure you are building the wall on a stable settled foundation. We have a school near here that was build in 1940 the school has a rock wall built of sandstone and the wall still stands...Not sure if that is because of the amazing mortar or beceuse the site was stable or a combination of both...Some of the mortars that have synthetics in them are excellent long lasting bonders.

Granite rock is VERY durable...

o

I built my first rock wall last winter. I decided to "pore" a foundation of rebar and 3-4 inches of concrete. Because I wanted the wall to look more like stacked stone, I put the morter mainly behind the rock. There is a little between the rocks. I also backed the wall with extra rock and some bricks in a couple of places. I wanted to make sure the wall would continue to stand.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here