Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
African Iris

Posted by wannab_gardener (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 10:53

Our African iris got hit hard by the cold weather! Hope someone more experienced can tell me what to do now! Should they be cut back or left as is? They have green near center but the rest of the leaves look bad! Thanks for the help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: African Iris

• Posted by nelson 8 in Alabama (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 21:14

wannab,

What zone are you in? I'm in 8a, and have had zero luck with African irises. Most of the ones I was given one year didn't come back the following Spring; those that did never bloomed and died out the following Winter.

I'm guessing they would do much better grown in containers and brought indoors during cold weather. It has been my experience that plants that are evergreen in nature run out of "energy" when they are forced to replace their foliage and bloom in the same season. Again, just my experience ;-)

I hope you find a solution so you can enjoy these beautiful flowers. If so, let me know!

o
RE: African Iris

We are on the Gulf Coast. I I cut them way back and see green leaves springing up now. Thank you for your response. I don't expect much bloom from them this YEAR BUT AM HAPPY THE MADE IT THRU THIS HARSH WINTER.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here