Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madabouteu

Info on B'ham area needed

madabouteu
16 years ago

I am planning a trip to the B'ham area on Saturday, definitely the Trussville area and perhaps the Mountainbrook general area. Does any one know of stores in this area, whether a nursery or a Big Box store, that sells bonsai pots or has a good selection of succulents? TIA

Comments (7)

• tsmith2579
    16 years ago

Well, it is across town from me but there is a Home Depot at the Pinnacle Shopping Center and a Lowe's just down the street. Both are within sight of Jefferson Memorial Cemetery. Google the two words - nursery Trussville - and a number of places pop up. I Googled for bonsai supplies and got nothing or value. Call the Birmingham Botanical Gardens and ask for a contact with the Bonsai society. Most plant societies leave contact information with the BBG.

• ourhighlandhome
    16 years ago

I can't guarantee that they'll have either of those two things, but if you're going to be in the Trussville area you owe it to yourself to visit Leath Greenhouses, located at 2449 Old Springville Road. It's very easy to locate; you can contact them at (205) 854-3673 for directions.

I don't get there often enough but it's always worth the visit.

Good luck & have fun wherever you wind up!

Nelson

• loveofmylife680
    16 years ago

Nelson. Have you been to Leath's since they changed owners? What are the prices and selection like? I pass it almost every day but never seem to have the time to stop when I am out.
    Jill

• ourhighlandhome
    16 years ago

Jill,

Jan (birdlady10) and I stopped by there sometime this summer almost by accident, and were very pleasantly surprised.

The current owner is an extremely nice guy who told us how the original owners had shut the place down practically over night last December. He was one of the original employees and couldn't stand to see the place abandoned, so worked out some kind of deal to open it back up (God I hope I'm remembering this correctly!).

Anyway, at the time he was working his a$$ off to restore the business and get it restocked, and we both admired his drive & determination. I hope like heck he does very well.

The selection was a bit shy of what it was originally, but he was working hard to correct that and it shouldn't be a problem by now. I always thought the prices were reasonable and still do.

He had a great selection of what I refer to as "florist quality" houseplants, cacti, succulents, aquatic and carnivorous plants, as well as some nice tropicals and perennials.

I wish the place was closer - the few times I've visited have always been a treat and I've always found something unusual I couldn't do without!

Nelson

• madabouteu
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I went to Leath's today and it was great!! Lots of neat stuff and prices were very good; the people were very nice also. Thanks to everyone!! I also got 4 small bonsai pots there.

• ourhighlandhome
    16 years ago

Yea! Glad you made it and had a great time. Now you've got me wantin' to go back :-)

Nelson

• madabouteu
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Let me try to remember what they had... I mostly concentrated on succulents. They had two types of Haworthia (one was probably H. retusa, the other a dark green columnar, Echinopsis, a Mammillaria, Rhipsalis cereuscula, Hatoria salicornioides, Euphorbia trigona, Cissus quadrangularis, several succulent Tradescantias, Birdsnest Sansevieria, a sedum (guatemalense?), and Euphorbia platyclada, which gets my vote as world's ugliest plant. They had Nematanthus, two kinds (I think they are two kinds!. Many other things, including a few bromeliads, but I just did not pay attention to it all!

Sponsored