Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madabouteu

Daffodils

madabouteu
15 years ago

I have learned my lesson. None of the daffodil bulbs I bought at a DIY store came up. But the ones I bought mailorder from a reputable bulb company have a 100% success rate!

That has me going back to the catalog and looking at what I might order this year. Does anyone have suggestions on which ones do well in the Gadsden area?

Comments (9)

• snickerfritzed
    15 years ago

Maybe they just are not ready yet...I planted close to 200 in November and several are beginning to come up, no blooms yet but they have broke ground and are maybe 5 inches or so in height. All of mine came from Lowes or HD, can't remember which one. This is the 1st time I have planted any...will the cold kill them coming up so soon?...I am sure we will get more real cold weather before spring. Such weird weather, huh?

• spider_lily
    15 years ago

I bought 10 pkgs from walmart lasy year they all all up and blooming.

• browneyedsusan_gw
    15 years ago

About eight years ago my sister-in-law and her husband sent me a wonderful gift -a package of 100 daffodil bulbs for southern gardens from White Flower Farm. I have a succession of blooms from January to the end of April.

Susan.

• bluesagewmn62
    15 years ago

Some daffodils bloom later than others...it may depend on the variety you bought....I've bought hundreds of bulbs from the DIY stores and have never had any problem at all with them. They are all beautiful....that said, however, some of you mail order ARE bigger bulbs ( you also pay more for them) and since they are older,larger bulbs, tend to produce a much nicer display.....Good Luck with your garden!!!

• bama_gardener
    15 years ago

I bought 2 dozen daffodil bulbs from WalMart earlier in the year, planted them and all of them are up and blooming. It is possible in your area, the ground hasn't warmed enough for them to sprout. Be patient - they still may surprise you.

• tsmith2579
    15 years ago

A couple of years ago I bought King Alfred-like daffs from Wal-Mart and some of the tiny bloomers as well. My granddaughter was thrilled to help me plant them. They all came up and bloomed. I planted them after Christmas and they bloomed late the first year but this year they bloomed early. They have been a sight for sore eyes this year. They smaller ones I bought bloom later.

• catbird
    15 years ago

I have hundreds I can bring you. When it's time to dig them, I'll be happy to share. I haven't see the King Alfred's yet this year, but I have the mini's, white ones, yellow ones, muscari, and others. See you Monday.

• madabouteu
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for the replies. Some of the daffs are up and blooming, most are up but NOT blooming. On the other hand, ones I bought last year at Collinsville Trade Day, already in bloom, not only survived but are putting on a real show this year - apparently they enjoy the treatment i gave them! Next year, I expect a good show from the ones I planted last fall.

• scandia
    15 years ago

10 years ago I bought 10 Daffodil Tete a tete, which means minature daffodil I think. They are little. Planted them in RED CLAY. I planted 10 bulbs so I could have a little sign of spring. 3 years ago I moved the bulbs to a new location. At that time The 10 bulbs had multiplied to close to 1000. NOW I have even more then that. All I did was put a little liquid Miracle grow on them once a year. I am sure that it is the tete a tete and not me. Because I did not know what I was doing and still don't verses the daffodils. They just come up and multiply like bunnies.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting