Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snickerfritzed

What roses are you planting this spring?

snickerfritzed
15 years ago

I am new to gardening. Began last spring after a stroll through Bennette's Nursery in Huntsville...bought my first rose, Bishop's Castle (an Austin that smells wonderful) and that was all she wrote. Been addicted ever since. Planted 19 roses last spring/summer. I have ordered 29 for this spring. None of my friends garden, they all think I am crazy..so I was curious about which roses are doing the best in the North Alabama area in your gardens?

Comments (8)

• User
    15 years ago

Don't know about north Alabama, having only been born in Haleyville and spent summers there with my cousins, then moved south to Mobile. But I do unnderstand your fascination with roses.

This year, I am putting in the ground two Zepherine Drouhans that I bought last summer. They will go on the newly constructed arbor that marks the entry to our back yard. And I have a white Lady Banks also going in the ground close to these pillar types. All of my roses are due to be moved from the bed in the center of a circular drive, so I can line them up more on the property border.

My son's favorite is the Don Juan, very fragrant and a dark blood red. I also love the Iceburg, Just Joey, and Joseph's Coat. For a tall rose, try Queen Elizabeth. If you can find Felder Rushing's book, TOUGH PLANTS FOR TOUGH PLACES, he lists the hardiest toughest roses which are his favorites. You might find the rest of his book interesting also.

• cottagegirl_tn
    15 years ago

Whatever I can get my hands on! LOL. I got bit by the rose bug last year when I discovered the old garden roses. I propagated quite a few from old cemeteries using a simple mist system. I live in TN but work in Florence AL. Do you live anywhere near there? I'd be glad to share. I want to get my hands on the new yellow knockout for sure.
    Jen

• snickerfritzed
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's funny, I live in Alabama, but work in TN. LOL. I Just placed my final order with Chamblee's. I had several icebergs on the list, then read they are very prown to blackspot in bama, so I started reading about the OGR. I cancelled my first order and changed it to include several OGRs along with some Austins...I can't help myself, I just love them so. I tried to get the ones that seem to be disease resistant. I had good luck last year, but it may have been just that, luck. Is propaagating difficult? Gosh, that would save a ton of money! Now if I could just get these beds pumped up well enough for spring! I can't wait til April. It has been so pretty here the past 2 days...

• sinai
    15 years ago

I'm planting two roses I already have in my garden cause I like them both so much..... they're fast growers, easy to take care of and are both repeat bloomers......One is "Sombreuil", a white old fashioned climbing rose and the other is "Lamarque", a white old fashioned Noisette climbing rose....Using the ""Sombreuil" up a trellis on the western side of our house and the "Lamarque" along a fence......I've never the sprayed the two I already had and they've always looked nice...I especially like the big quartered type blooms on the "Sombreuil" and they smell wonderful..... I purchased both from Petals from the Past in Jemison, Alabama.

Paul from Alabama

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses

• scandia
    15 years ago

I live in New Market. I have had EXCELLENT luck with the "Tiffany" Rose. They are in an area that does not get a lot of sun and bloom all summer for me. They have a fragrance that is similar to a wild rose. Only problem with roses is Japanese Beetles. I spray them with a mixture of garlic powder and red pepper to keep the little buggers off.

Good hint for roses is, in Fall gather up some of the fallen leaves and turn them into the soil around the roses root base. Be careful not to disturb the plants roots. Then a little rose food in the spring and the plant thrives and blooms all summer. About 4 - 2 gallon buckets full should do it. Roses like a little manure too.

• User
    15 years ago

As it turns out, my neighbor--for the third year since I moved into this house--brought over one of those roses in a plastic sleeve they sell someplace, with wet sawdust around the bare roots. Surprisingly enough, the roses from the previous two years survived, but they were not the type of rose shown on the sleeve. This year, the selection is a floribunda and already has lots of leaves on very green stems. I'm putting it in the ground, with hopes it too makes it. This neighbor is old (even older than I am) and can no longer garden, so she loves to come walk around the flower beds and talk about plants. I totally understand her need. Maybe this one will prosper so she can feel connected to the garden again.

• rootman09
    15 years ago

Wow, that is a lot of roses. I have 15 myself. Some good ones are Mr. Lincoln, Double Delight, JFK, Blue Girl, and if you like climbers Don Juan.

• scandia
    15 years ago

I did buy the Tiffany Rose in a little plastic bag bare root with sawdust and paper around the roots. I bought it because Tiffany is my Daughter's name. I am not a pro when it comes to gardening but I try to do my best. And I have NEVER been good with roses. This Rose blooms til November. And is pretty easy for me. The scent is heavenly that is why I suggested it.

Sponsored