Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Xanthosoma Lime Zinger

Posted by lsmcw 7b-AL (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 08 at 14:30

Anyone growing this? It is calling my name and my credit card is burning a hole in my pocket. Description says it likes water so thought I would put it in a pot on a shelf in the pond. Any thoughts? Are you listening Terry and Nelson? LInda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Xanthosoma Lime Zinger

• Posted by nelson 7b in Alabama (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 4, 08 at 21:13

Hmmmm...this is the one 'ear' I have fought against purchasing - partially because of it's high price, and partly because I don't have any more space in my basement to overwinter something that may or may not be hardy in my area. If anyone has a clump that needs thinning I'm tossing my name into the hat here ;-)

While some websites state that it can grow submerged, others refer to it as strictly a terrestrial. Most xanthosomas I have grown can handle either during the heat of summer - but none have survived the combination of "wet feet" and freezing temperatures.

In the long run, it's probably cheaper to give in to your urges and purchase this thing before you ruin another pair of pants! Treat it as half-hardy and bring your pot inside for the winter.

Nelson ;-)

o

Oh you naughty, naughty girl. Put your credit card away and wait for your economic stimilus rebate check (Bush Bucks or Pelosi Pesos)to come in. Don't contribute to the "credit crisis" but spend you check. I've tried Lime Zinger and I can't get it to live in dry soil or wet. I bought one and have been given one and both languished for a season or so but then they perish, poor things. I'm not complaining, mind you. I have lots of EEs which are beautiful. I'll keep trying and one day Lime Zinger will make it.

o

has anyone filed taxes yet. i want my Bush check.

o

Thanks for the words, guys. It is iffy but it is also supremely yummy looking and I have a weakness for lime plants. I may give into temptation. Will let you know the outcome and it it thrives, I'll share. Linda

o

Linda, I have you a lime zinger when the weather warms enough to ship. I have problems overwatering but the main problem is spider mites in the greenhouse. Remind me the latter part of March or first part of April and I will send you a plant. Larry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here