Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
outsideplaying_gw

'Judge Solomon' Azalea

outsideplaying_gw
18 years ago

Do any of you in the Birmingham area recall seeing 'Judge Solomon' azaleas in any nurseries recently? I looked around here in the Huntsville area the past 2 years and have finally concluded that this variety must not grow as well in the upper zone 7 area. However, I have 3 that have done beautifully and wanted to add a couple more but can't seem to find them. If you know of a nursery that has them let me know. Two of our kids are in B'ham, so I can have them pick up a couple for me. Anything further south and I'd probably have to mail order. Thanks!

Comments (4)

• tsmith2579
    18 years ago

I thought I had replied to this but I don't see the response. We got our several years ago at Wal-Mart for around $1.30 each. They have grown like crazy. These were at the Hwy 280 store when it was in the Brook Highland S.C. It has now moved about a block away. If the weather holds tomorrow, I'll take a look and see if they have them.

• outsideplaying_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

You may have answered it on the "wanted" forum. I got a nasty note from the village idiots with a caution about asking people for something when I didn't have anything to trade. My mistake if I misused that forum, but I thought I was clear about the intentions. I appreciate you looking when you're down that way. I love the color of those things. If you locate, I'll send out one of the Boys (or a daughter-in-law) to pick some up for me. Can you believe they are so cheap? $1.30?? Amazing!

• jeff_al
    18 years ago

i have just been reading the flyer from the kiwanis club for their annual azalea and camellia sale and see it listed as 2-gal. size for $5.00 (tax included).
    the one here goes on during march 3rd through 5th.
    perhaps the local one in your area will offer the same plants.
    also listed is 'pink pearl', a pretty one that is a heavy bloomer for me and an old variety. several other formosas are on the list including 'red formosa', which is not that easy to find. for a late bloomer, they also list 'wakabisu', which produces light, salmon colored flowers in may and is more of a low, compact grower.
    6 natives are listed, including 'millie mac', a cultivar of r. austrinum, and a very pretty one at that.
    hope this helps,
    jeff

• tsmith2579
    18 years ago

I stopped by Pike's on Hwy 280 yesterday and they did not have any Judge Solomons but are expecting them in March. Hmmm, isn't March already here in 4 days. I stopped by WalMart and Hanna's Garden Shop on Hwy 280 today. WalMart has Formosa, Geo. Tabor and several others but not Judge Solomons. They didn't have as huge of a selection as usual but did have a lot of them on the parking lot. Hanna's had three 3 gallon pots at $14.99 per pot and a 10 gallon pot at $69.99. They are expecting more to come in. I told you Hanna's is expensive. If I run across any, I'll let you know.

Terry

Sponsored