Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
expendable_gw

Sources of soil and soilless mixes in east central alabama.

Expendable
12 years ago

I've been looking for a place that sells by the yard. I'm not having much success though. I found a guy that sold potting mix in bags, but his prices were higher than the name brands at home depot. Anybody know of a good (preferably cheap) source in the Elmore, Lee, Tallapoosa, Macon, Coosa, Clay, Chambers area? A little further might be fine too.

Comments (7)

• barberberryfarm
    12 years ago

I met a salesman at the recent AFVGA conference at Auburn from GEC Organics that sells organic compost. They are down in Castleberry AL. You may want to give them a call. You can find details about the company on their website. I, personally, haven't used them yet, but was thinking of using them when we plant pumpkins. For my outdoor (soilless) hydroponic system, I get perlite and vermiculite in 4 cuft bags at Cassco on Hwy 231 behind Southern Homes and Garden.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Expendable, if you are require large amounts for nursery use, you may want to contact a Fafard representative. They can deal in bulk deliveries of most of their whole sale line of products. I've been using their Heavy Weight mixes (see attached link) for many years...both when I was growing as a professional and now that I just require tiny amounts, I have a local garden center special order it for me. It's the only potting mix that I recommend EVER.

If you look at the attached link, you'll see that these nursery quality mixes can be purchased in 55 cu.yd. bags. They also sell tractor trailer loads of a mix (which I have never seen).

That's my suggestion, not knowing what your use of the product will be. If you are growing in containers, you'll want something very coarse textured. Your crop determines if the m ix should be more peaty or more barky.

Here is a link that might be useful: Check this out

• Expendable
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm just doing it as a hobby. I have about 50-100 grow bags i need to fill. I have heard of cassco, but was told that they don't deal with anyone that isn't part of a business.

• jeff_al
    12 years ago

plant world nursery in lee county (near beauregard) sells the sun gro brand of mix similar to fafard. you can get a bale (3.8 cu. ft.) for $40 + tax.
    i bought fafard brand from them several years ago when the doziers owned it. the ownership has changed and i guess they are not selling that brand these days.
    the mix i mentioned is peat and perlite (no fert.) and might have a wetting agent, also.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

What's going to be put into the grow bags? If woody nursery stock, I would absolutely try to find someone who will special order a mix that is mostly bark fines (like the Fafard I showed you). You can get a pallet of the Nursery Mix, which consists of two 55 cu.ft. bales.

• barberberryfarm
    12 years ago

Expendable: I just talked with Charlie over at CASSCO and they will sell to anyone. You don't have to be affiliated with a business. They can also order items if they do not have them in stock.

• Expendable
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's great, I wish I had known that. The season has just started though. Next time I'm in that area I will try to drop by and see what their prices are like.

Sponsored