lsmcw
16 years ago

Anyone thinking about a Spring Swap yet? Linda

Comments (52)

• tedevore
    16 years ago

Lynn,
    Thanks for the gracious offer, and it sounds good to me. I like the idea of
    a change in venue every few years, especially if we get to know our gardening friends better.

I'll be there wherever its decided, but i don't know if I can bring myself to look at nurseries the same day. I'd probably see something i want and may already have something from the swap to get in the ground, and no more room in the garden :-(

Todd

• loveofmylife680
    16 years ago

Lynn sounds good to me. I always think about the folks south of you that dont come and maybe they would now. Plus I could sneak off to Jan's. hehehee
    Jill

• tsmith2579
    16 years ago

Sounds good to me. I'll do my darnedest to be there.

• daffodillady
    16 years ago

BBQ? Yep, I could probably get my non-gardening hubby to come along for that- LOL!!

• ourhighlandhome
    16 years ago

I think it'll be too much fun, although I feel kinda guilty about you pickin' up the lunch tab ;-) That'll probably pass though, once you start treatin' me to all those CC & 7's.

Seriously though, I look forward to seeing everyone again, eatin' barbeque and doin' the nursery "thang". I think this'll be special !

Nelson ;-)

• loveofmylife680
    16 years ago

With Lynn as the Host we could bring her a special plant or tip jar to put in what we would of spent anyways buying the stuff to bring. I will take my husbands gps to give me directions, I can get lost with a map.lol
    Jill B.

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

Lynn, that sounds like a winning idea to me. I don't know if I'll have anything to trade, since I gave all my "non daylily" items away last year, but I'd love to come see everyone and yes Jill you and anyone else interested would be more than welcome to visit my place. :) Probably will be too early for all the dl's to be blooming however, but hopefully other things will be.
    Jan

• bricore_2007
    16 years ago

Lynn,
    Count me and my family in (as long as Pell City isn't too far from you. I'll do a Google after I write this.) I am so excited to get to meet other growers in this area (I have so much to learn and I am ready to listen.)
    I myself would LOVE to get my hands on some figs. I was going to buy them but I haven't been able to find them yet (a really nice lady told me to look for them next month in the stores.)
    I have started some of my plants and would be willing to bring some with me to trade.

I can't wait for Spring.

Dora Renee' Wilkerson

Here is a link that might be useful: Y-2K Hippie

• pfllh
    16 years ago

To give you an idea, most come from Birmingham,take I65 south to the 1st Prattville exit. Take a right at the top of the exit ramp. You will see other businesses but I'm sure the nursery on the right will catch your eye. You are on HWY 31 south. I am bad about mileage but think it's about 3 miles and you will pass woods on both sides of the road and then an open field with a "Welcome to Prattville" sign on your left. When you see the sign put your blinker on to turn left onto county rd 12 East. Go 1/2 mile and turn left onto the dirt road - Ridge Terrace, Go to the end of the road and Ridge Terrace goes to the left. Turn left onto Ridge Terrace and we're the first house on the left. 1014 Ridge Terrace - 36066
    From Wetumpka, take 14 to Prattville. Go under the interstate and past Ruby Tuesday's. There is a field with a Carol Lemon Realty billboard, Old Ridge RD and then Regions Bank. Old Ridge RD is betwwen the bill board and bank, turn right onto Old Ridge Rd. Go approximately 3 miles. You will pass a stables on the right, Tuff-E-Nuff Stables with a wood rail fence. At the end of the property, turn right onto Ridge Terrace. Go to the end of the road and turn left onto Ridge Terrace. We are the first house on the left.
    From Montgomery, take I65 north. Get off at the 2nd Prattville exit and turn left back over the interstate. From there your directions would be the same as #2 coming from Wetumpka.
    If you miss the Old Ridge Rd turn, go about a block to the light and turn right. This is also Old Ridge Rd and the road will curve around on the backside of the bank and join the other Old Ridge Rd. Then the directions are the same, go 3 miles, etc.
    I'm really excited about this. I'm afraid that neuropathy from bulged discs is making it more difficult to bend and walk. So my offer is a bit of a selfish one so I get to see you and trade plants. :O)
    I'll redo the directions when it is definite everyone agrees to my place. It would add about an hour to the drive from the park in Birmingham to my place. Then you can copy and paste and print. Mapquest directions have you turing into my neighbors at the end of the road to the right or going into the woods. Might have to send a search team out if you use mapquest!!!!! LOL
    Thanks so much for considering this.
    Lynn

• mokey
    16 years ago

this sounds like so much fun. i am going to try to come. i've never been to a swap before. i am still in the newbie gardner category. i am wintersowing lots of things, so maybe i will have somethings to bring.

• pfllh
    16 years ago

Just a reminder. WE call it a plant swap but we actually trade for garden items too. We also have people who make crafts and trade them. Any garden related as to mulch, potting soil, soil, fertiilizer, pots, trellis, statues, just about anything. Sometimes we buy things for the garden and don't use,
    Just post what you have and then what you're looking for. I haven't seen a chicken for a duck but anythings possible!! :O)
    Lynn

• mws366
    16 years ago

hey Lynn and everybody.

i like the may 10 date and i like your
    plan. sandra and i will be there.

wayne

• bricore_2007
    16 years ago

Lynn,
    I guess I could bring some goat milk soap too, and things like that too. I am not sure about bring goat poo or bunny poo tho..hee..hee (although I'll have some here at my house that I'd love to find someone in the area to trade with later on.. Like maybe for seeds or plants.)
    We haven't been here long enough for it to really compost much but who knows maybe by then if they weather is right.
    Where we used to live I made a big pile (3 piles) out back and would flip it a lot. I had horses, chicken, bunny, and goat all mixed together. I let it still sit for about almost a year but I really think I could have used it before that because I flipped it so much..lol.. I just hate to kill something that I am growing.

Dora Renee' Wilkerson

• loveofmylife680
    16 years ago

Dora Renee, You will have me wanting to make a trade for some.
    Jill B.

• pfllh
    16 years ago

LOOKIN GOOD !!! I'm so glad so many of you want to come. I'll be talking to Jan and Arlene and see if they can come. Perhaps Anette can come to.
    I haven't heard from Tony in ages or Deb. Will check with Susan and Chris.
    Oh, Dora Renee', there is also a fall swap where the poo might be ready. you could always use trash bags, bag it and decide what you want for it. With the 2 shetlands I adopted that were rescued, I just let it dry and run over it with one of the lawn tractors to spread it around. :O)
    Lynn

• bricore_2007
    16 years ago

Sounds great! I'll bag some up and leave it outside for now. I'll be bring home my horses sometime here soon too (but once again it'll take some time to compost that too.)

I look forward to meeting you all.

Thank you,

Dora Renee' Wilkerson

Here is a link that might be useful: Y-2k Hippie

• birdlady_10
    16 years ago

Yes,Lynn.You KNOW I'll be there!! I love coming to your place anyway--swap or no swap :).Besides I want to see what new thing things Southern Homes has this year.Where I'm going to put them don't ask me.Maybe I can have a fall plant swap/dig here! LOL Jan

• browneyedsusan_gw
    16 years ago

Chris and I will be there!
    Susan.

• pfllh
    16 years ago

Linda, are you going to get to come? I certainly hope so.
    Well, Jan if you weren't coming, I'd come get you and RoseMary!!! :O) As the tornado just missed us, we only had winds but no damage so it's the same ol' place. Of course, more animals.
    Susan, I'm so glad you and Chris are coming. Be sure to let me know if there's anything she wants as she doesn't have a list. Of course as she has her own place, if an apt., we can get an itty bitty plant so it won't take up much room.
    Wayne, I was worried the distance might be too far for you and Sandra. I am so pleased you are coming.
    Mokey, we do have a great time. Hopefully, you will be here to meet all the normal people and then a few of us crazies.
    Todd, put it on your calendar and be here! OK? Jill, will be so good to see you again. Jan, think you can get Rosie to come? Snatch her by the seat of the pants and drag her here. Haven't seen either of you for the longest time.
    Jackie, where are you?
    NOW, last but not the least, Nelson. You are crazy as _____________!! Knowing your mouth after you relax with a few beers, I am not about to buy you that stuff. Besides, you'll be driving and I don't want something to happen to you. Jan and I wouldn't have anyone to pick on like we do you. :O)
    Lynn

• lsmcw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I plan to be there and will plan to bring my daughter, Leila, although with 4 boys under the age of 8 it's hard for her to get away to do anything! Linda

• bricore_2007
    16 years ago

Oh, I am so excited to tell you all that I just went to throw out a milk jug that I was working on sprouting some Goji Berries in (I had them in there for what I thought was long enough.) The last time I checked there was nothing in there but today I found 3 of my Goji Berries had SPROUTED (boy, did that take a LONG time to grow!!!)
    I am so very excited about this. I have no idea how it'll grow in the soil here but I am willing to find out.

I am going to try to bring one to the Swap just incase anyone is interested in getting one.

Dora Renee' Wilkerson

• loveofmylife680
    16 years ago

Dora, You do not have a e-mail posted on your page to e-mail you. I am interested in a trade for the goji berries. I will have more listed when it gets warmer on my exchange list so just check it out in about a month.
    Jill B.

• roseyp8255
    16 years ago

Yes Lynn I am planning to be there!!!! Course, i am just gonna dig your monkey grass lol! :)

• pfllh
    16 years ago

Rosey, I have not given any to anyone waiting for you, birdbutt. We may not have time to dig but you can see what I have and how much you want and when you want to dig. If you can, bring some boxes to put it in. I burn mine - boxes that is not monkey grass. :O)
    Really looking forward to seeing you.
    Lynn

• roseyp8255
    16 years ago

I know - same here! and right - i can dig monkey grass anytime lol!

• bricore_2007
    16 years ago

I have a question. Is the trade/swap open to everyone? The reason why I ask is I was talking with the Fresh Foods Alabama groups and I was going to tell them where it was at but I (I bring it up but didn't say just where) thought I better come back and ask you all first if it was ok.

I can tell them to join this group and put what they have to trade on here (I talked with one of the ladies on here and she said that way people aren't digging up plants and then having to replant them. I never thought about that myself until after she said something but I understood what she was saying.)

Let me know if it ok (if not I wont say anything but if it's ok I'll tell them to join over here too!)

Thanks for your time,

Dora Renee' Wilkerson

p.s.
    The Fresh Foods of Alabama group is a good group of people. I really like them. It's small but a lot of good talk.

• bricore_2007
    16 years ago

I also wanted to let you all know that I got around to updating my trade list. I don't have a lot of fancy things to trade but I got what I do have on there (I am pretty much new to these kind of things.)

Dora Renee' Wilkerson

Here is a link that might be useful: Y-2K Hippie

• loveofmylife680
    16 years ago

Lynn, You do not have anthing on your trade page?
    Jill

• pfllh
    16 years ago

Jill, my husband is in the hospital again. I promise I'll check to see what I have as soon as things get better and post a list for haves and wants.
    With the crazy weather, things start coming up and blooming and then a good ol' freeze. Hopefully that is over and things can grow!
    I really am sorry everyone for being behind on my lists. It's just so hectic running back and forth to the hospital, taking care of my animals, and just getting things done. My brain is on neutral right now so hard to think at times.
    Take care
    Lynn

• loveofmylife680
    16 years ago

Lynn, I did not know your husband has been in the hospital and did not mean to sound pushy. Hope he is ok. Did not know if you had forgot to post your trades

• pfllh
    16 years ago

Just got home from the hospital. Jill, you are not pushy. I hope I didn't come across that way. Just a lot of things going on including Phil in the hospital. Running in circles. :O(
    It will get better. I just haven't had time to walk around the yard. It's always dark when I get home. I could put a "wanted" for a new brain. I didn't close the gate today thinking of things I had to do, needed to do, and not the time to do it. Anyway the horses were wandering around to the neighbors property when I got home. I had to drive through the woods trying to find them. They were down the road on the back of my neighbors property visiting other horses. I can't believe I did that!!!
    Just keep Phil and I in mind please and a prayer. He has the catherization to morrow to see if new blockage. Surgery is not an option with his health.
    Thank you and take care.
    Lynn

• browneyedsusan_gw
    16 years ago

I've started a thread on the Exchanges page for everyone to post trades on. I will update my list this weekend.

Lynn, our thoughts and prayers are with you and Phil. Susan.

• roseyp8255
    16 years ago

Okay Lynn - what is new with Phil? How is he? How are you?

• pfllh
    16 years ago

They found Phil had new blockage and did an angeoplasty. It went very well and now blood is going to that area of the heart. He must have a very special angel by him as so many times it has been a wait and see and he has come through.
    I really think his blood keeps flowing wondering if I'd really do some of the things I threaten to do if he doesn't behave and listen to the doctors - like pull him around the back pasture in his wheelchair behind the tractor, OR push him down the ramp to see if he can fly like superman. It gets a smile from him and he listens better.
    I appreciate you asking Rosie. That was a long 2 weeks.
    I also appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers. Thank you so much.
    Lynn

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

Lynn, it's good to hear that Phil's angel came through for him again....keep threatening as long as it makes him listen!! :)
    Ya'll take care and I'll keep you both in my prayers.
    Jan

• daffodillady
    16 years ago

Hi all!! I loved meeting those folks that attended last fall's swap, but I have a hard time with names....I am going to make a name tag with my username and real name on it. I realise that most of you know each other, but it would be a real help to the newbies if we could put a name and a face together....LOL!!

• tnrwnr
    16 years ago

Hello to all!!! So glad the swap will be closer, will be easier for me to get there with ole back in the shape it is in, if I can't get there myself, will get hubby to get me there. Pflh, so glad that your hubby is doing better, and that his angel keeps close by his side. Will be good to see your place, was good to see you at the CAMGA plant sale last year. Just thought that I would let those interested know that Earth Day for Elmore Co. is at the recycling center behind the McDonalds in Wetumpka on April 26th, and the CAMGA plant sale will be in front of the Flea Market in Wetumpka off 231 in the Winn-Dixie shopping center on May 3rd. After all of that, will be nice to just get together with Great gardening friends that I have not seen in a LONG time!!! Don't know what I will have to swap yet, like everyone else, with this crazy weather, things keep coming up and then getting nipped, and it got really cold here last night ,so we will see. But really just want to come and visit , if nothing else!! Will add to my trade list as I see what I will have, and no telling what I will come up with from the plant swaps and sales, sooo----Guess that I need to let everyone know what Earth Day consist of, it is an old fashioned plant swap, anyone is welcomed, and folks bring in things from their yards to swap, and if they don't have a swap, they give a monetary contribution that goes to the beautification comittee of Wetumpka. The reason this is my baby, is because it gets the non plant-a-holics excited about planting and getting their yards beautiful!!!I have never seen as many smiles in one place as I see in those 3-4 hours. Not sure of the hours yet, but will find out and post. Have been doing this for 5 years now, and will continue, as it makes me feel GOOD!!! :>)
    As always, Happy Gardening,
    Tina

• Jackie McCarty
    16 years ago

this post seems to appear earlier and earlier every year. I will be there.

Jackie

• pfllh
    16 years ago

Sorry it's been so long since I posted but Phil's been in the hospital 2 more times since I last posted and is in the hospital now. Looks like he will come home tomorrow.
    I still plan on having the swap here. I'll have my grandson stay with Phil when we're playing at the plant places.
    Please let me know of any places you'd lie to go so I can plan out the drive to hit as many places as you want to go to. Please keep in mind that Southern Homes and Gardens is a large nursery and takes a while to see it all. Petals of the Past in Jemison I think would be for on the way home for some of you as it's about a 45 minute drive from here. Just let me know where you want to go or what you are interested in.
    I have received an email from Bev in Monroeville and she's interested in coming. Hopefully more from the south will come and some that post on Alabama will come so we can meet them all.
    Tina, need that info on the Wetumpka events to see if I can go.
    Jackie, glad to see you posted and am looking forward to seeing you again.
    You all take care and if you see Nelson, WHY hasn't he posted lately. I still need to post a list but kinda dragging running back and forth to the hospital for the pas 4 weeks.
    See you soon
    Lynn

• loveofmylife680
    16 years ago

Lynn, I know you are tired, maybe with spring coming your husband will feel better and get well. Wishing you both the best. I am exited about the swap being at your house. I have posted a want on the exchange side but it still seems slow over there.I also need to put up some daylilies I have divided on it but want to get them all divided first.
    Jill

• pfllh
    16 years ago

Bumping up so posts not overlooked.
    Have a great day
    Lynn

• roseyp8255
    16 years ago

Lynn (And others) - don't shoot me - i can't make it - my niece Alex has a band formal that night - she will be w/her daddy then thank goodness - me and my best friend have to do the hair and face thing, getting her ready. there is just no way i can make it - so i am gonna shoot for the fall swap!

Lynn - FYI - I AM gonna come see you soon - a couple of times i have picked up the phone to call you and it has bene too late - but one afternoon i will try you on the way home from work.

• pfllh
    16 years ago

Rosey --- BANG --- !!!!!!!!! I'll miss you. What in the world are you going to do to that poor child to take all day? Alex is going to be the one to shoot you if she has to be still all day. :O)
    Please come whenever you can. Just give me a call to make sure I'll be here. Then too, need to water the monkey grass so it will be easier to dig.
    Lynn

• roseyp8255
    16 years ago

lynn - i know lol - we have a ball game at 10 that morning - so we'll be there until noon - then home to shower here, roll her hair, etc., etc. lol - she has to be at the formal at 6.

ya'll have fun - hell i won't have any time between now and then to do any thing to plants -

but yes, i will let you know in advance so we can dig monkey grass!

• loveofmylife680
    15 years ago

Jan- birdlady, Do I have a trade with you on peegee hydrangea for a daylily? If so go to my trade page and pick the one you want and let me know.
    Jill

• tsmith2579
    15 years ago

Hi, y'all. Got the computer back, finally. Let me tell you, IMO the Geek Squad isn't the greatest. Does anyone want to swap something for antique garden books? I have (1) OUR FERNS AND THEIR HAUNTS (c) 1901 by Willard Clute. (2) GRAY'S FIELD, FOREST AND GARDEN BOTANY (c) 1901 and (3) GRAY'S LESSONS IN BOTANY (c) 1887 by Asa Gray.

Terry

• roseyp8255
    15 years ago

Looks like i will be able to make it - let me know if there is something you want.

• loveofmylife680
    15 years ago

getting closer!

• roseyp8255
    15 years ago

yes, looks like i'll be potting stuff this weekend

• sinai
    15 years ago

My wife has a previous commitment but I just wanted to say that it sounds like you folks are going to have a wonderful time and a great swap event........pfllh has certainly done it up right for you folks: plant swap, nursery tour and BBQ!!!.....Are you kidding me?....Hey that's what I call a good time......Hope you folks enjoy yourselves.....

Paul from Alabama

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting