Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Suburban Tree Removal Awesome Process

User
15 years ago

For some time now, we've had a tree service come to remove six very large trees from our suburban homesite here in Mobile. Getting them down in a wideopen place would not be complicated, but here we have 115x85' lot with a house approximately in the middle of that, and a 12x16' storage shed in one back corner, and a 20x25' cement block garage in the other back corner. Plus, two of the large pines are near the street power pole and the line running to the house itself. It has been an interesting month, waiting for the crew to return from hurricane work in Houston TX, getting started, a sick climber, bad weather, and high winds. We are now getting close to completion.

One pine has part of its top to remove, then the bole to chew away piece by piece. Three of the four pines were maximum size and height, with the fourth pine having twin trunks. The remaining pine is the one within four feet of my new sun porch, the power line running between the tree and the porch. I don't know how those guys manage, but they drive a frontend loader like it was nothing as they take downed limbs and huge sections of pine and oak to the trailer at the street. My husband and I are constantly praying that no one gets hurt, because this is obviously a tricky business.

I have a couple of photos of some harrowing scenes to show you. Just a few, because I wore out three Sony batteries with the total number of videos and still images I took.

My advice to everyone with trees in their city landscapes, is to take them out BEFORE they become a hazard. We bought our little house in February last year, and these trees were already huge.

{{gwi:358961}}

{{gwi:358962}}

{{gwi:358963}}

Comments (4)

• bluesagewmn62
    15 years ago

That is just awesome! These guys have quite a job. My dad had a bunch of pines removed from his property, but I wasn't there to see it and he never took any pictures.

Well....Here comes the sun!!

• scandia
    15 years ago

Wow..Removing trees...I understand your fear of the trees falling on your house. Do you plan on planting trees that do not get so big?? I could not imagine having my trees removed...I only have one tree that is close enough to my house that it could do damage..it is a 200 year old Oak.

I actually asked the utility co to remove a 200 foot tree from my front yard 10 years ago and they finally came by YESTERDAY and said they would be coming by next week.. Since the 10 years has gone by I have learned that the tree is a Tulip Poplar which is a 50 MILLION year old species. SO NOW I am upset the Utility company is removing the tree.. It is leaning toward the utility lines and pole, so I understand why they are removing it..

You might find that your utility bill goes up.

Thanks for sharing..

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The only tree I had removed before was on our large riverfront lot. It was a pine just like these, struck by lightening though, and the limbs were rotting and starting to drop. After our house was torn down (victim of Katrina), they felled the tree in one big drop. It was about 100' tall! We did not have the luxury of space to take out these trees, and the man who did the climbing and roping off to lower the tops, said they were every bit of 90-100' tall. No wiggle room at all.

We realize that we will miss the trees very much. And, it will be apparent this summer when we get the power bill.
    However, we now plan to put in trees which will minimize the problems of maintenance and potential storm damage.
    I am a fan of tropicalesque landscaping, so shade is an important feature. Not every plant appreciates the kind of heat and humidity and of recent times, the drought, of south Alabama summer and fall. So trees are definitely in our plans.

Also in our plans, solar panels on the roof!! And tankless water heating, a garage turned into a greenhouse and space for an Endless Pool IN the garage. I should live so long. :)

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just uploaded about 40 photos and videos of this tree removal process to Webshots.com. It is in the first photo album, if you want to look.

Taking out trees in tight quarters is not a job for the faint of heart. I sure couldn't do it. Scotland Yard did a great job for us. As an indicator of how great, they have three more jobs in this neighborhood, because folks saw how careful they were.

Here is a link that might be useful: photo albums

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting