Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Hedge for South Alabama?

Posted by Swiss_Chard_Fanatic 8b-9 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 17:49

Hello,

I live in South Alabama, technically in zone 8b but I'm very very close to zone 9. I have read that the Leyland Cyprus will get a fungus and die in my area, and I've read that the Arizona Cyprus wants dry conditions, not humidity. So those are out, I guess.

I'm looking for an evergreen shrub or tree that will get at least 10 feet high but I don't want something 50 feet high, that's for sure. I keep reading that these shrubs will get to 50 feet but I never see a picture of them reaching that high so I'm not sure what's going on there. I want something with dense foliage that won't become infected with a fungus or other disease and requires very little maintenance. I'd prefer something that grows fast, like at least 3 feet per year.

What do ya'll recommend? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Hedge for South Alabama?

Full sun?

Florida Anise-tree (Illicium floridanum) up to 10'
Ebbing's silverberry (ELAEAGNUS x ebbingei)
Devilwood (Osmanthus americanus)
Myrtle holly (Ilex myrtifolia)

The problem with fast growing tall shrubs is that they do require maintenance to keep them from taking over. A shorter shrub, say 6-7' will be easier to cut back periodically.

o

You must be near Mobile or Dothan? Will your hedge be in full sun? Do you intend to keep it 'flat' and manicured looking, or just want a row of something to do its' thing and block a view? How wide can it be?

You can have flowers as well as evergreen foliage, like Camellias, fragrant olive (Osmanthus,) Azalea/Rhododendron, some of the most common.

Your desired appearance may be for a more uniform appearance, but if you have a hedge of varied genera/species, a disease would be extremely unlikely to wipe the whole thing out.

o

i like southern wax myrtle, myrica cerifera. said to grow to 10'-20' tall and about 10' wide. i have not seen one taller than that. good source of food for birds, too. can take many site conditions but needs good sun. can also form a colony by suckering.
i would avoid leyland cypress for the reasons you mentioned such as disease and they also can get very large (over 50' tall).

o

I'd be very interested in knowing how wide the plants can be to suit your purpose. Leylands can and will grow much taller than 50 feet and a very broad width. The pictures you've seen are young plants, very young.

Give us more information on your preferred size and how willing you are to prune on a regular basis.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here