Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I want to try something different,,,ideas?

Posted by topsiebeezelbub z7 Al (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 18:19

Anyone have any luck with celeriac? How bout sweet peas? Rhubarb? I want something different this Spring...suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I want to try something different,,,ideas?

Rhubarb is a perennial, so you have to wait a bit for it.

Celeriac is a hard to germinate as celery and needs a *long* cool season we just don't get. You might try it in the fall.

Sweet peas... the ornamental? Or you want sugar snap or snow peas? They grow great here but don't delay getting them in the ground. It's a smidgen late to plant them.

If you are looking for spring edibles, you might try salad turnips (like Hakeuri).

Kohlrabi is another cool season unusual veggie -- it's quite good, but it doesn't really have enough time in the spring -- it does well in the fall, though. Also salsify and parsnips and rutabaga, although the last three I hate with a passion!

o

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought rhubarb couldn't grow in the heat and/or humidity of the South?

I remember I wanted to try to make these leaf-shaped pavers I saw a tutorial on a few years ago and it recommended using rhubarb leaves since they're so large and interesting. However what I could find on them seemed to indicate they wouldn't really grow well here. Is this false?

o

topsie, you might want to go to messages @ bottom of the page #66.

RE:Anyone knows if Rhubarb grows here? Posted by Squirellypete, on Saturday, Oct. 8, 2005.
I have found it is good to listen to those that have already been there...........joseph

o

Lol, I forgot I posted that message way back then Bulzi. Now I remember, and after reading those replies I decided back then not to waste my time on it.

o

Yes, I have failed with rhubarb in the past. Stark Brothers says they have one that will go to zone 8...maybe desert z.8, not swamp z. 8.

o

Almost all the catalogs like to "zone push," but Stark definitely so.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here