Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

How did the dig go?

User
15 years ago

Hi. I've tried several times to ask this question in the thread about the plant dig. It won't let me ask!

So here is a new thread.

Tell me, first hand, did you go and how was it?

I am very interested in this project and in how many

folks participate.

Comments (5)

• tsmith2579
    15 years ago

I left my house around 11:35 am for the approx. 20 minute trip. I was supposed to meet a lady who works with me and her husband. Jill Bearden had emailed and she and her son were coming as well. I waited at the entrance about 20 minutes and finally walked up the hill. I had strapped a large plastic garbage can to a set of hand trucks and dragged it behind me. I know a spot right on the trail where there is a clump of oakleafs that everyone passes by. When I went up the hill around 12:15 there were maybe 30-35 cars. While I was digging Jill and her son came by and joined me. In a few minutes the other lady and husband came by. When I left there were probably 50+ cars in the parking area and others were leaving. It was a beautiful, sun-shiney day, nice breeze but not too cool. I was home and had my oakleafs planted before 2 pm. There was a short article in Saturday's newspaper about the dig and a nice article today. I'll cut the articles and email them to you.

• pfllh
    15 years ago

Terry, I'm glad it was a good day for you. Wish I could have come but was needed at home.
    Lynn

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This project captures my imagination! I am inspired by it.
    It does the community a lot of good, and I think it also
    brings local gardeners together. Finding plants tossed out, instead of buying expensive specimens at the nursery, appeals to my frugal nature. (My husband would appreciate knowing that I HAVE a frugal nature....but it goes with my Scottish heritage.) :)

• pfllh
    15 years ago

The dig is not plants tossed out. It i a landfill that they are clearing more area to dump. The plants are all native. You can go into the designated area and dig whatever plants, shrubs or trees you want. Can't take big equipment, only wheelbarrows and such and your shovel.
    I really enjoyed it when my daughter and I went. We met Terry at his house and followed him there.
    In areas like this, you find dogwoods, oakleaf hydrangeas, native azaleas, ferns and what have you. It gives you an opportunity to meet a lot of nice people and get some wonderful plants.
    You might want to check with the city where you're at and see if they have something like this. Lots of fun unless it rains and you slide on your butt!!!!! :O)
    Lynn

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lynn, I appreciate your clarification. Come to think of it, who'd want to be climbing all over piles of FILL, whatever that might constitute!!

It sounds like you have attended more than ONE such event, because you speak from experience about it raining? hehehehe, that sounds so cool!! What an image! :)

I live in Mobile, and I plan to inquire about such a project--as soon as Mardi Gras is over.