Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tin Cans In The Garden

Posted by heaven4441 7b (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 20, 09 at 18:33

I'm always on the look-out for containers to plant in; can someone tell me if it is ok to use tin cans for this purpose? Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tin Cans In The Garden

First impression: Confused. Do you mean will using metal can be harmful to plants? The answer is no. Do you mean are cans useful to start seeds or cuttings? The answer is yes. Do you mean if you use cans will your yard look like the Beverly Hillbillies live there? That is your choice to make!

o

Sorry, guess I didn't make the question clear enough. What I meant was, if I plant in the cans, will the metal that the cans are made of harm the plant that is planted inside? I have been saving cans to use to start seedlings in, and have been scared to use them, because I didn't know if the metal would somehow harm the seedlings when they started to grow, especially if they started to rust. It seemed like such a good idea though, some of those cans are just the right size for certain things that I intended to put in them. Thanks for your help.
(P.S. There's no hope for my yard; I am married to a sheetrock hanger, and my yard has looked liked the Beverly Hillbillies for 30 years; I'm laughing hysterically over here! Too funny!)

o

The cans should be fine as long as you punch drainage holes in the bottom. Also, consider how you will get the plants out when they outgrow the can. Paper cups, yogurt containers, etc, can be torn or cut down the side to minimize damage to the seedlings. Otherwise, have at it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here