Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bamatufa

brand name of fruit trees purchased

Bamatufa
13 years ago

I purchased a bundle of fruit trees this weekend from Mountain Top flea market near Gadsden,AL. Five for $15 , quart size plastic wrap type containers.The wrapper is labeled GP- Grower's Pride with no other info other than planting instructions and the variety of the tree. Has anyone heard of this brand name? No, address,copyright symbols or anything on the package.Did I get had from someone buying and reselling products from a bogus distributor like Ty Ty Nursery?

Comments (10)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

What kind of trees did you get? You don't have to worry about it being from TyTy. They aren't in the wholesale trade, preferring to scam the general public instead.

• Bamatufa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

2 ea. Yates Apple, 2- Georgia Belle peach, & 2 - Blue Damson Plum. Two of each for pollination but after reading up I think I am suppose to have different varieties for proper pollination. After researching the web for the brand name to see what the grower recommended I discovered they are nowhere to be found.So maybe I will have some trees nearby or they are self pollinating or I can purchase some more to cross pollinate.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

The peach and the damson should be self-fruitful, so no need to worry about them in terms of pollination.

I looked around for information regarding the Yates apple and only found the statement that this variety makes a good pollinator for other apples. So to my thinking, other apples would pollinate IT! Right? I would at least look for other late maturing apples. Winesaps come to mind, but there are plenty of others.

Your local extension office might be a good place to go for information pertinent to your location. I took a couple of pome fruit courses in college but that was waaay to long ago for me to remember the ins and outs of apple pollination, lol.

By the way, tree fruit varieties as old as these will no longer be patented.

• lucky_p
    13 years ago

Yates is a good, old Southern apple variety - late ripening, long-keeping, good quality, small fruit size.
    Some Southern nurseries are pushing it as one of the better ones to plant out on hunting properties as a soft mast crop.
    If there are other apples or crabapples in the landscape anywhere nearby in your neighborhood, they should accomplish the job of pollenization - provided you have sufficient pollenators(bees, etc.) in the neighborhood.

• Bamatufa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the feedback! I feel better about my purchases.

• Bamatufa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

One more question.Can fruit trees be planted now in central Alabama with more cold weather expected?

• alabamanicole
    13 years ago

If the trees are dormant, absolutely. Otherwise, wait until after your last frost date.

I believe you should be able to pollinate Yates with a Granny Smith or Arkansas Black if you come across them -- both are fine older varieties which do well in Alabama. I know Petals from the Past will have both.

• Bamatufa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks !! If I do not get a chance to go by Petals from the Past I will try Ala co-op or Tractor Supply which are nearby the B'ham area.

• kandi4eye
    12 years ago

I bought GP trees also 5 for $15 in Mississippi. Did your do well. I bought Carlos muscdime, peach, barlett pear, & lethley plum.I also purchase a mulberry already rooted in a lagre bucket. How will these grow in La?

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA