Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
brand name of fruit trees purchased

Posted by bamatufa 7 - Trussville AL (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 22, 11 at 19:29

I purchased a bundle of fruit trees this weekend from Mountain Top flea market near Gadsden,AL. Five for $15 , quart size plastic wrap type containers.The wrapper is labeled GP- Grower's Pride with no other info other than planting instructions and the variety of the tree. Has anyone heard of this brand name? No, address,copyright symbols or anything on the package.Did I get had from someone buying and reselling products from a bogus distributor like Ty Ty Nursery?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: brand name of fruit trees purchased

What kind of trees did you get? You don't have to worry about it being from TyTy. They aren't in the wholesale trade, preferring to scam the general public instead.

o

2 ea. Yates Apple, 2- Georgia Belle peach, & 2 - Blue Damson Plum. Two of each for pollination but after reading up I think I am suppose to have different varieties for proper pollination. After researching the web for the brand name to see what the grower recommended I discovered they are nowhere to be found.So maybe I will have some trees nearby or they are self pollinating or I can purchase some more to cross pollinate.

o

The peach and the damson should be self-fruitful, so no need to worry about them in terms of pollination.

I looked around for information regarding the Yates apple and only found the statement that this variety makes a good pollinator for other apples. So to my thinking, other apples would pollinate IT! Right? I would at least look for other late maturing apples. Winesaps come to mind, but there are plenty of others.

Your local extension office might be a good place to go for information pertinent to your location. I took a couple of pome fruit courses in college but that was waaay to long ago for me to remember the ins and outs of apple pollination, lol.

By the way, tree fruit varieties as old as these will no longer be patented.

o

Yates is a good, old Southern apple variety - late ripening, long-keeping, good quality, small fruit size.
Some Southern nurseries are pushing it as one of the better ones to plant out on hunting properties as a soft mast crop.
If there are other apples or crabapples in the landscape anywhere nearby in your neighborhood, they should accomplish the job of pollenization - provided you have sufficient pollenators(bees, etc.) in the neighborhood.

o

Thanks for the feedback! I feel better about my purchases.

o

One more question.Can fruit trees be planted now in central Alabama with more cold weather expected?

o

If the trees are dormant, absolutely. Otherwise, wait until after your last frost date.

I believe you should be able to pollinate Yates with a Granny Smith or Arkansas Black if you come across them -- both are fine older varieties which do well in Alabama. I know Petals from the Past will have both.

o

Thanks !! If I do not get a chance to go by Petals from the Past I will try Ala co-op or Tractor Supply which are nearby the B'ham area.

o

I bought GP trees also 5 for $15 in Mississippi. Did your do well. I bought Carlos muscdime, peach, barlett pear, & lethley plum.I also purchase a mulberry already rooted in a lagre bucket. How will these grow in La?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here