Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desirai_gw

newbie questions about hardiness

Desirai
11 years ago

hello. i am new to gardening. i started in the winter of 2011 by growing things like peppers in pots in my living room.

i have questions about the hardiness of some plants that im new to.

will dahlias and gladiolus come back every year? also will amaryllis bulbs come back every year. i have 5 amaryllis in a pot they did not bloom last year at all and i left them in the pot on my porch all winter.

also will daylilies come back or do i have to replace them as well?

also what zone am i in, i live in gadsden alabama some maps say 7 some say 8.

i am texting on my phone sorry for the typing.

Comments (12)

• louisianagal
    11 years ago

I'm can't get to a map from this link (stupid new computer program) but Birmingham would be zone 7. Mobile zone 8. I'm in Tupelo MS zone 7 and Jackson MS would be zone 8.
    My understanding is that dahlias need to be dug up and stored for the winter. They are not hardy. Now having said that there are many variables. You might have a milder winter. You might be on the border of 2 zones. You might have them planted in a microclimate (area that is warmer than most of your property), you might have a dahlia variety that is more cold hardy than most. But you would be taking a chance leaving them out. They might also rot. Gladiolus can be left in the ground. Mine do fine. There are different varieties of amaryllis. The ones you order from catalogs or buy the bulbs at the garden center will do fine in the ground but the ones you grow at Christmas time are sort of florist varieties and don't always survive but I always put mine in the ground at the end of the holidays. Daylillies will come back. Welcome.
    Laurie in Mississippi

• catbird
    11 years ago

We're in Gadsden, too, and it's zone 7. Traditionally it's been 7a, but with the milder winters lately, it's more like 7b, though I wouldn't count on it staying that way indefinitely. The information from Laurie applies here. Daylillies and glads love it here and will thrive and multiply. Amaryllis will survive if you're careful not to plant them too deep. That said, I haven't had any bloom again after I've planted them in the garden, but I don't give them any special attention and haven't studied the problem. Dahlias have to be dug up and stored over winter.

Where in Gadsden are you? We need to meet sometime.

• Desirai
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you for the information.

catbird im in glencoe. i work at the gadsden walmart :)

• squirrellypete
    11 years ago

My Christmas Amaryllis that I planted out in the garden sometimes bloom, but not dependably. Not quite sure what the trick is there. Hardy Amaryllis are quite lovely if you can get your hands on some bulbs. They're smaller than the big showy Christmas ones but they multiply fairly quickly and are beautiful in mass.

And as others have already said, glads will come back. Dahlias are hit or miss if you don't dig them. Daylilies are right at home here. Although every once in a while you may obtain a variety that doesn't take well to our heat and humidity. Some are bred for more Northern climates and will just sort of limp along, sometimes die out altogether. By far though most varieties will grow, bloom and multiply like crazy here.

• jeff_al
    11 years ago

i grew up in florence (northwest alabama).
    the old-fashioned dinner plate dahlias would return faithfully and bloom each year without being lifted.
    i will suggest that they probably need a well-drained site or the winter wet might rot the tubers.
    maybe the small flowered ones are not as hardy?

• madabouteu
    11 years ago

Desirai, the newest USDA maps show Gadsden right on the border of zones 7 and 8. Downtown Gadsden is 8, Alabama City is 7. So far this winter we've not been below 19, which means we've actually had a zone 9 winter except for one night! This rezoning is confirmed by the Arbor Day Foundation, which used data from 1995 - 2005 to redraw growing zones - the resulting maps moved zone borders north about 150 miles, all across the nation. The ADF map showed the 7/8 border somewhere between Attalla and Albertville. I agree with Catbird, we should meet!

• Desirai
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks for the information on hardiness, it really confuses me sometimes.

• browneyedsusan_gw
    11 years ago

Please come to our spring plant swap at Oak Mountain state park on May 4th. We'd love to meet you and share plants and advice. Check the post "Start thinking about the Spring Swap" on this page for details.
    Susan

• Desirai
    Original Author
    11 years ago

where is oak mtn state park?

• Desirai
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oh i have a question about peonies... never had peony before. i bought one, where should i plant it, is it perennial? i have it in a pot outside in part shade part sun i dont think its doing very well.

• madabouteu
    11 years ago

Click on the link below to read a publication fom the North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service on peonies. We do not have the ideal climate for them, but can grow them with some care.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peony care

• madabouteu
    11 years ago

Click on the link below to read a publication fom the North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service on peonies. We do not have the ideal climate for them, but can grow them with some care.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peony care

Sponsored