Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alocasia 'Hilo Beauy' & 'Dahlia' Cold Hardiness ???

Posted by bulzi 7z (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 21, 13 at 20:27

Purchased 'Hilo Beauty' from box store today..... it is one of those plants that you look twice at and then read about. Have shade caused from house,so I figured that may do.
Care and Maintenance states cold hardiness @10'-0' F.
When I go on line I get mix hardiness information. Nothing below 45'....keep in side over winter in pot etc. Does anyone in Zone 7-7b have hands on with the how to or not to do for this beautiful plant.
I dig the Dahlias and store covered on porch ( hope it works). Left a few out to test on coming back without storing. Would like to leave and maybe cover with mulch , paper, cardboard...?? Suggestions..?.. On what would be best.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alocasia 'Hilo Beauy' & 'Dahlia' Cold Hardiness ???

I love dahlias, but have never tried to grow them. From what I understand they aren't hardy here (north Alabama) and I don't want to have to dig and store and replant them.

o
RE: Alocasia 'Hilo Beauy' & 'Dahlia' Cold Hardiness ???

catbird, thanks....input can really help everyone receive better,.,.,.,. MONEY SAVING, 'time' saving , s-p-a-c-e saving ideas.

People with hands on knowledge of their triumphs and failures can be most beneficial with their snippets.

I do not want to dig and store.....but the giving of Dahlia bouquets during the summer to elderly , I will probably keep digging and storing as long as I am able.

If you come across away to not dig...and keep the tubers reasonably dry over winter in the ground --PLEASE-- come back and post.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here