Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bricore_2007

Has any grown Jerusalem Artichokes here in Alabama?

bricore_2007
16 years ago

Hello!

I have been wondering if Jerusalem Artichokes would grow here in Alabama. I have been looking for them around here and can't seem to find them (so I am thinking they may not grow well here.)

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your time in advance.

Dora Renee' Wilkerson

Comments (13)

• tsmith2579
    16 years ago

A man about a block away from me has grew them for many years. He told me 20+ years ago he had been growing them many years before I knew him. Regrettably he and his wife passed away a few years ago.

• busybeebody
    16 years ago

Dora,

I hope this helps you...I received my catalog from Burgess Seed & Plant Co. last week and saw your post this morning. www.eBurgess.com will allow you to place a credit card order or you can call 309-662-7761. Item N6200 Jeruselem Artichoke "Best of Burgess" 1 lb. $8.95, 2lbs. $15.50, 4lbs $27.95, and 8 lbs. for $54.00. 1.5 pounds will plant a 35-50 foot row.
    Best of luck.
    Moire

• bricore_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank-you! I'll be calling them. I really hope they will grow here.

Thanks again,

Dora Renee' Wilkerson

• terramadre
    16 years ago

I have and I've eliminated them.
    Reason:"
    The Jerusalem artichoke, Helianthus tuberosus L is a very strong growing perennial and can become a weed problem. Since it is nearly impossible to harvest all the tubers in a field or garden, there will be a large number of volunteer plants the following spring. It is important to destroy all these volunteer plants before they can set tubers in August."

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Jerusalem Artichokes

• busybeebody
    16 years ago

You're most welcome Dora- but beware...I have heard they are indeed quite vigorous in conquering territory around them. LOL

Moire

• bricore_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I want them for my goats so if they are fast growers that is ok. My goats love to eat. I just hope they will grow in my soil (I have very acidic soil.)

Thanks everyone,

Dora Renee' Wilkerson

Here is a link that might be useful: Y-2K Hippie

• lsmcw
    16 years ago

Interesting, I don't have a problem with them spreading because the deer will paw the dirt up and eat the 'chokes during the winter. I've actually had years when I had LESS plants than the year before and the ground looked like it had been plowed. Which is OK - I'd rather they eat the J. chokes than the daylilies. Linda

• vortreker
    16 years ago

DORA--I GREW THEM NEXT TO MY GREENHOUSE ON THE NORTH SIDE. THE BOTTOM 4 FEET WERE RATHER SHADY BUT THE TOPS GOT VERY BRIGHT SUN. THEY WERE PROBABLY 12 FEET TALL
    RUSSELL

• bricore_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Russell,
    That's great. I love tall things. Do you have any to trade or sell? I would love to buy from people anytime over buying from a company.

Thanks everyone,

Dora Renee' Wilkerson

• birdlady_10
    16 years ago

Dora Renee;I think I have a pot of tubers out there.If so I'll bring them to you at the swap.I'll let you know this next week. Jan

• heathcates
    13 years ago

Dora, did you ever grow these? I know it is two years later and wanted to see how it was going. Thanks

• rnold5
    13 years ago

I have grown them here for years. They're easy to grow and are really pretty - look like sunflowers. Wife uses them as a substitute for water chestnuts in recipes - delicious!

Sponsored