Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
For anyone knowledgeable about English Peas

Posted by squirrellypete z7b GA (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 21:14

Someone here recently piqued my interest about English peas so I thought I might give them a shot. I have 2 areas I was considering planting them now.....one is a VERY large freestanding wire trellis in full sun I grow cucumbers on in late Spring/summer. The other are the 5 ft. bamboo cane stakes leaning against a stone wall that I grow Morning glory vines on each year.

My questions are:
do these seem like good places to plant Snap Peas and will they interfere/overlap with normal planting of cukes/morning glories in late April/early May? I have no idea how quickly the peas reach maturity.

Also, should I add any ammendments to the soil in between the peas and the cukes/morning glories to quickly follow?

Thanks for any tips/advice. If it's too late to plant them without overlapping crops then I can always wait til' next year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: For anyone knowledgeable about English Peas

Peas are a legume, so they fix nitrogen from the atmosphere. You will not need to amend the soil afterwards, just cut the peas off at the base and let the roots improve the soil.

They like full sun, but the stone wall might be too much heat for them; I think the trellis would be better.

Here, you plant peas around Valentine's Day and they start producing in about 60 days. So yes, they will interfere with the time you'd normally want to put other things in the same spot. There are some varieties which start producing in as little 50 days, but you don't have a single harvest flush so I'm not sure that would help you much.

Another option is to just plant the morning glories anyway, harvest peas as long as you can, and let the morning glories overgrow the peas. I'm not sure what would happen here -- when the peas die, I don't know if their old vines would be unsightly or if the morning glories would just grow over all of it.

o
RE: For anyone knowledgeable about English Peas

Thanks for the info Alabamanicole. That's what I needed to know. I may go ahead and plant this year and see what happens with regard to the overlap. They sound easy enough. I had heard about "nitrogen fixers" but never really quite knew what that meant so that is also helpful. Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here