Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
layne88

Sweet shrub

Layne88
11 years ago

I bought a sweet shrub plant yesterday, can I strt in a pot and move later. Remember the delightful smell from hiking in woods earlier in life. Can't wait to share with my friends. I just moved recently and not sure where to put it.

Comments (11)

• catbird
    11 years ago

There's no reason why you can't keep it in the pot till you're ready to plant it. Pull it out of the pot to be sure the roots aren't too crowded. I find that I usually need to move plants to a larger pot, loosen the roots, and give it lots of fresh potting soil if I'm not planting it right away. If you find that there is still plenty of dirt in the pot it came in and there's room for the roots to grow, you can just put it back in the pot

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Hi & welcome to Gardenweb!

This sounds like a plant I might like, what is the botanical name?

This post was edited by purpleinopp on Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 11:24

• catbird
    11 years ago

Sweetshrub's botanical name is Calycanthus floridus. It is a nice, native shrub.

11 years ago

TY, cat! I also just got Osmanthus fragrans and I think there's "sweet" in its' common name, or one of them, also. Can't have too many sweet-smelling shrubs! Never thought I was much into shrubs until moving south. Now can't get enough of all of the beautiful, scented, often evergreen, exotic-to-me possibilities of bushes one can grow down here!

• alabamanicole
    11 years ago

My neighbor has one of those. It's pretty when in bloom (never really noticed much of a smell myself) and fairly attractive the rest of the year. But... it just keeps expanding outward and grows rapidly in full sun. Be prepared to give it plenty of room.

The birds LOVE it for their nests, I think because it's so dense.

11 years ago

Oh oh oh, you must walk over to sniff! That's how I found this plant. I was at WM looking for house plants and had to track down the source of the lovely fragrance out there. My nose led me to that shrub and I didn't even look at the price tag. Only one, instantly in the cart. It's welcome to as much space as it needs, thanks for the caveat! Still blooming like crazy and perfuming the whole front porch and yard for the past 3 weeks, wafting inside the open door today.

• catbird
    11 years ago

Of course, it usually blooms later in the year, so don't be surprised if it's not blooming early next spring. I got one at the plant swap a year ago last Fall. It had a bloom on it when I got it, but hasn't bloomed again or spread. I think it's just been getting adapted and will take off this year. I hope so!

• bulzi
    11 years ago

Layne88, you just bought one of the BEST shrubs ever to have in your landscape. Have enjoyed this shrub all my long life and the Osmanthus fragrans for the past ten years. Catbird gave you very good advise on keeping it potted for awhile. Feed and water. Take- your- time- to find that perfect place for it. I have re-re-replanted so many plants...a friend told me several years ago to place the plants (with pot) where I want it for awhile before actually planting it. I do and have more than once moved them to a different location to plant.

11 years ago

Great tips and info! Cat, hope it blooms too!

What kind of exposure do these shrubs prefer?

I was told a little shade mid-day would be best for the Osmanthus. I have a spot under a giant pecan tree, with the lowest limbs way above the house. About 15 ft. south of its' trunk, there's sun all morning, then shade for the rest of the day. It would be about 8 feet away from anything else. How would that be, exposure and enough space?

If the wind would generally blow in the same direction all the time, I'd have an easier time deciding...

Guessing from Layne's comment about hiking in the woods that Calycanthus floridus prefers mostly shade? When do those usually bloom?

• catbird
    11 years ago

Sweet shrub blooms from mid spring into early summer and prefers part shade or dappled shade. Consider planting it near a porch or door where you can enjoy the fragrance. Between the sweet olive (Osmanthus) and the sweet shrub, you'll have lots of spring perfume. Enjoy it.

• louisianagal
    11 years ago

Osmanthus fragrans - I believe this is what we call sweet olive. Love it!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!