Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is it too early to plant my bananna plants ?

Posted by bamatufa 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 19, 09 at 21:45

With the warm weather, I am getting the itchy fingers to plant my indoor potted bananna plants outdoors which is my plans for spring. I am eager to get a head start on my bananna's.Would I be making a mistake ? Should I hold off until April ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is it too early to plant my bananna plants ?

Do you remember Friday, March 13, 1993? We had a 12 inch snow and a HARD freeze that night below degrees. If you plant now and the ground is still crumbly and soft from planting, the ground may freeze too easy where it is disturbed. I would wait until April 1. The chances of a hard freeze after APril 1 is almost non-existent. The chances of a frost are low but you can cover and protect the banana from a frost.

o

I would advise even more caution than my friend Terry & wait till mid to late May at the earliest. If you plant bananas any earlier, you run the risk of them rotting in the cold soil, especially if you make the mistake of over-watering. I know its always said that bananas love water & fertilizer, but that's only true when the soil warms up & we have daily high temps in the 80s & 90s . Water & feed too soon & you'll have dead bananas. Trust me they're much better off in pots untill the ground warms up. Patience, patience!

o

My poor bananas are still outdoors in the ground with their little bubblewrap and flannel sheet jackets on them.
I think their little feet are doing fine in some deep pine straw mulching. Even the gigantic alocasia/colocasias are
beginning to put out some greenery, but they still have their wrappers on too. These things are on the south side
of our yard, up against a privacy fence. I'm hoping this
week sees the worst done with. But I know one more big cold snap can happen, even here in Mobile.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here